Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-your-own-t38083.html)

Olivia's Grammy 03-01-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by NCfleur
I'm a very new quilter and was very anxious about quilting my first quilt. We have a LQS that rents long arm machines. You have to take a class and they do hold your hand through the process. $15/hour to use the machine. It took me 3.5 hours for the class and the quilting (lap size quilt). I was very pleased with the results and now I can say I did everything myself from cutting, piecing, and quilting my very first quilt.

I wish we had a place near me that did that. The closest sewing machine dealer that sells long-arms doesn't even have sales people there that know how to use it and give a demo!! You have to go to a special event every 3-4 months where the long-arm rep comes to give a demo. Bizarre.

Oh now THAT would be nice - renting a longarm --- 'wish there was a place here in the Ozarks that had that!

I wish you live close to me. I rent my HQ16.

quilterguy27 03-02-2010 12:10 PM

For me it depends on the size of the quilt and what I want quilted on it. For charity quilts and quilts for family and friends I quilt them myself as long as they aren't too big. Queen and larger go to the longarmer. Twin/Full and smaller I quilt on my home domestic machine.
Doug

reginalovesfabric 03-02-2010 12:30 PM

I quilt my own, I have a gamill quilting machine my brother bought me. I stipple and get lost in my own little world when I'm quilting. This was a used machine but it's a heavy duty Singer/gamill and will last longer than me. I can do a queen size quilt in less than 3 hours.

bmorawitz 03-02-2010 01:23 PM

I do all my quilts myself - I have a mega-quilter with frame. Before I use my sewing machine... with kids in college It is less expensive than sending them out - the nearest long arm quilter is approx 100 miles away.. And Since I do quite alot of log cabins for practic on my mega-quilter it keeps me out of trouble --- I usually do some free motion and tryed my hand at pantographs....it my escape from work and keeps cabin fever at a low... I am not a really good hand sewer have tryed a couple of quilts (hand quited) I feel more comfortable sewing them on my sewing machine or mega quilter... I thinks its fun and takes knots out of the day....

sew much fun 03-02-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I quilt all my own work. I wrestle with twin up to queen size on my machine. But I am having a blast making small lap quilts and baby quilts. This summer I plan on using my square stash and make pot holders, hot pads and coasters as gifts for Christmas.

I am having a hard time with trying to stipple a twin size on my machine. Thread keeps breaking and I can't control all that fabric. Thinking of giving up but hate to waste all that time and material

bstanbro 03-02-2010 04:56 PM

I thought long and hard about this when I learned to quilt two years ago. I was told that it would be very difficult to machine quilt a bed-sized quilt, and in my sewing space, it definitely would be. I was a little disappointed because I didn't feel as if I would enjoy quilting as much if someone else did the quilting. I can't remember what changed my mind, but I did make a decision to send my large quilts out to a laq, and I have never looked back. I love choosing the fabrics, touching the fabrics, piecing the fabrics . . . but I'm not very artistic, and so I doubt that I would enjoy the quilting. I am fortunate to be able to afford a laq, but if I wasn't, I would tie them.

So, in answer to your question: bed-sized quilts go to the laq or else I tie them--especially flannel, I tie. Smaller quilts are done by me at home. I feel as if I have the best of both worlds, and it frees me up to quilt away. There is nothing I would rather do.

I suppose there are those who would object to my use of the words "quilt" and "quilting" since technically it is incorrect. To them I say, "get over yourself."

katiebear1 03-02-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.

What is the cotton theory type of quilting? (curious)

Yes, what is it, please.

katiebear1 03-02-2010 05:11 PM

I do my own quilting on my sewing machine However I have a Pfaff Expressions 2.0 that has a 10 inch opening, so I guess it is "a little long arm" :). I just finished a quilt last week that is 100 in by 90 inches and it wasn't very difficult to quilt. I did fmq and sid on it.

shrabar 03-02-2010 05:45 PM

I quilt my own on my machine I do embroidery quilt designs as ofen as I can then I know the back has no wrinkles.

schwanton 03-02-2010 05:52 PM

For now, I hand quilt all my quilts and will attempt fmq on my present project, a baby quilt. I have decided to wait until my hands are not able to quilt anymore (arthritis) before I will consider sending them out.