Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-your-own-t38083.html)

sewcrafty 04-20-2010 09:00 AM

I've only sent out one to be long-armed. Everything else was either by my machine, but most hand-qulited.

katsewnsew 06-09-2010 03:31 AM

I make my quilts from beginning to end. First time I quilted a queen size on my Juki, I struggled. But I got the hang of it now, and I practice Leah Day's quilting. Feeling good about it now.

deedum 06-09-2010 04:00 AM

I quilt my own by machine, nothing larger than a full size so far. I can't get past the fact,that if I send them out to a longarmer, then I didn't complete the quilt,they did. Just a hang up of mine! They are just beautiful from the longarmer's, but mine people aren't afraid to use. I am thinking my next baby quilt I will hand quilt, I could see that. Maybe someday a longarm in my future, ha! I would have to produce lots and lots of quilts to justify that and I don't have the time to do it. Quite an expense too and I wouldn't turn it into a business,so I will stick to what I am doing when the time I have to do it!

saf45 06-09-2010 04:05 AM

i also do my own mostly hand or tied,just learning machine quilting, hmmmm its a struggle tho, but will keep trying

mms61371 06-09-2010 04:13 AM

I have only sent 1 quilt to be machine quilted (my king sized bed quilt for my husband). My machine is not big enough to handle such a big quilt. And I made it with batik fabrics so it was very heavy. I usually stitch in the ditch or do a simple grid pattern. Been praticing with the BSR. I think I am getting pretty good, just not brave enough to use on a quilt I am giving away.

reach for the stars 2 06-09-2010 05:14 AM

I have a longarm so machine quilting here

Bobbielinks 06-09-2010 05:32 AM

I take in customer quilts to longarm quilt, and my friends tease me asking who I'm going to hire to quilt my quilt tops. I keep really busy with customer quilts - probably because I make less then minimum wage on them. But I simple LOVE quilting on my longarm Gammill.

schwanton 06-09-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by schwanton
For now, I hand quilt all my quilts and will attempt fmq on my present project, a baby quilt. I have decided to wait until my hands are not able to quilt anymore (arthritis) before I will consider sending them out.

I did fmq my baby quilt. It turned out so well, I also fmq my guild challenge (very small - 14" square). This is fun, I will be doing this again! But I still enjoy handquilting - very relaxing!

garysgal 06-09-2010 12:48 PM

I do small stuff on my Brother, and the larger quilts/wallhangings etc. I quilt on a frame with my Juki mid arm.

Stitchnripper 06-09-2010 12:54 PM

I do all my own from start to finish. On a cheapy Brother machine mechanical with no bells or whistles. Well, it does have a needle threader. I can FMQ on it and I have even done a king size. It was a challenge to shove it through that small space, but, it was only SITD so nothing fancy. I get tempted by the fancy machines, but have just about finished a lap sized top on my new to me treadle. And that has been a real pleasure. I think I'm going to quilt on it too. I read where I can lower the feed dogs, but might just cover them up with the slippery slidey thing if I decide to FMQ or might just SITD. I have also handquilted and like that. I find I don't enjoy hand piecing all that much.