Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else? - straight line quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-straight-line-quilting-t259106.html)

quiltedsunshine 01-03-2015 06:59 PM

Yea, it might take longer. But sometimes, it's just what the quilt needs.

Happy 2015!

soccertxi 01-03-2015 08:23 PM

straight lines on a long arm are a bear...DIAGONAL straight lines on a long arm make me crosseyed and give me a headache!! Love FM...SID not so much

faykilgore 01-03-2015 09:22 PM

I've tried to do straight line quilting free motion, but it looks like I'm either drunk or have severe palsy. It is slower using the walking foot and a huge pain to wrestle large quilts under the small throats of DSM's, but for SID and straight lines, I have to accept the tradeoff.

DOTTYMO 01-04-2015 02:50 AM

I find I can straight line on a domestic machine very quickly. I'm afraid I personally dislike an all over pattern which doesn't have any respect for the patchwork.
straight lines using the walking foot and moving needle makes varied stripes on a quilt.

coopah 01-04-2015 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7032956)

I find I can straight line on a domestic machine very quickly. I'm afraid I personally dislike an all over pattern which doesn't have any respect for the patchwork.
straight lines using the walking foot and moving needle makes varied stripes on a quilt.

I so agree with you!!! Love quilting that emphasizes the piecework and all the time that took.

Linda1 01-04-2015 06:12 AM

I just wish I could master fmq, lol

wendiq 01-04-2015 09:18 AM

That blue painter's tape is a Godsend! I have 1" and 2". Love using it and it can be used over and over on the same quilt.

leighway 01-04-2015 10:10 AM

SLQ is easy for me because the Bernina walking foot has a guide right down the center front. I just follow the seam or whatever mark I"ve made.

quiltingbuddy 01-04-2015 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7032219)
I have always preferred the look of hand quilting when I machine quilt my quilts. If I am doing a straight line, I always use my walking foot. Last year I was lucky to buy a brand new older version of a Bernina walking foot. I think it is important to quilt a quilt the way to give depth and perspective to the piecing of the quilt.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I do love the look also but have forgotten about the hand quilting look feature. I've never tried this but I so want to now! I will have to figure out how to do it I guess.

I do sometimes quilt SiTD with a walking foot or use the little bar to line up the walking foot next to a seam or previously quilted line, and yes it seems to go slower but I try to let the quilt determine how it should be quilted. I also like to quilt simple designs with gentle curves with my walking foot. But I agree, the FMQ seems to go faster most of the time.

JudyTheSewer 01-04-2015 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 7031733)
I find a basic stipple or meander is quicker than grid work or SITD.

Yes, me too.