Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone know of a DIVORCE quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-know-divorce-quilt-t24721.html)

Mamaskeeto 09-02-2009 08:57 AM

I like the idea of it being a "New beginning" quilt.

Gwyn 09-02-2009 09:12 AM

Perhaps you could call it a Fresh Start quilt. Divorce is a difficult process at best, but in the end, what you get is a new start. If she has children, perhaps a block designed to represent her in one corner and a block to represent him in the diagonally opposite corner, meaning Mommy & Daddy don't live together anymore. Then blocks to represent each child with Mommy and another with Daddy. This could remind the children of the love the parents still have for each of them.

I don't know. My divorce was because of drugs and abuse so I was happy when I finally recovered. I have a great husband of 26 years and a wonderful life (busy) now.

trupeach 09-02-2009 09:21 AM

I have never heard of it but I should make one for my ex husband. I would take a copy of the court transcript. each page would be copied on to fabric and I would put the blocks in order and number. The next time the jerk said he didn't agree to something I would tell him what number block to look at. He couldn't say he misplaced the transcript, it would be on his bed. hehehe

sewjoyce 09-02-2009 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
I have never heard of it but I should make one for my ex husband. I would take a copy of the court transcript. each page would be copied on to fabric and I would put the blocks in order and number. The next time the jerk said he didn't agree to something I would tell him what number block to look at. He couldn't say he misplaced the transcript, it would be on his bed. hehehe

I LOVE this idea :twisted: :twisted:

hokieappmom 09-02-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
Sounds like a lovely quilt, hacked in half with jagged edges, fraying threads, batting poking out at odd angles. . .

how funny!

jzgrum 09-03-2009 06:31 AM

Some years ago I saw a divorce quilt displayed at G Street Fabrics at the Rockville, Maryland store. It was also featured in a Washington Post article. I think it was bought by a marriage counselor. The one square I remember was the quilter's fantasy of running over the other woman's cat.

judithb 09-03-2009 06:34 AM

Half of a wedding ring quilt!
Truthfully, I would have loved anything bright, cheerful and snuggly. It was a happy day for me with endless possibilities for the future!

dlf0122quilting 09-03-2009 07:11 AM

How about making one from the squares called "Boken Dishes"?

judithb 09-03-2009 07:15 AM

Very good!

pbcquiltlover 09-03-2009 07:19 AM

My mother's funeral was similar but she was in a coffin. She chose a nightgown in advance and had a book of Shakespeare open on her chest with her glasses held in one hand as if she fell asleep while reading.