Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does everyone pay... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-everyone-pay-t63102.html)

Jeri M 09-06-2010 04:46 AM

Yes, I sometimes do. I really believe in supporting our LQS. In this economy I would hate it if they went under like so many other small businesses.

Rettie V. Grama 09-06-2010 04:49 AM

Sometimes, but seldom. I usually buy because I like it. Yesterday, I went to Joaan's Fabric for 1 yard of black cotton broadcloth. In addition, in my shopping spree, I bought the end of a bolt, 5 yards, of a piece I liked. This was all cotton 45 inches wide at $3.00 per yard. They had a 50% off fabric sale. The 5 yards cost me $1.50 per yard and the broadcloth also half priced originally $2.95 a yard. I left the store with 7.75 yards of fabric and a length of non-roll elastic for $11.52 including Taxes of $.95. I had to tell myself "Get out of this store or you will be broke." That is not all of my bargain hunting. Saturday I went to Salvation Army Thrift Store looking for a knick knack for Senior's monthly meeting. Just browse around when I'm in a thrift store. Walking dow the aisle of winter coats, I saw a coat that had the original J.C. Penny price tag on it. No less than $129.00 was the original price. I looked at SA price. $6.00. Was my size. I bought it. It was 75% down filled. Am I a good bargain hunter or what? I've been patting myself on the back for 2 days.

quilterken 09-06-2010 05:05 AM

At the shop I work for the cottons start at $5m and go up to $16m. We always have a nice selection for $5, plus there is always a sale or coupon to bring the others down in price. FQs start at 1.50 up to $4.

I will pay just about anything for the right piece if
1 - I'm using it right away.... not a stash builder
2 - Must get some sort of discount.
3 - There is nothing even close for cheaper

foxxigrani 09-06-2010 05:21 AM

I know everywhere is getting expensive. Joanns is up to $9. a yard here, but since I won't go in there anymore, I don't have to worry about it. I find bargain fabric, at WM or other places and unless I have a purpose for it, I only buy stash yardage. That in itself is enough and I finally had to quit buying for that. Got embarrassed when I redid my fabric and saw how much I had, so no more stash buying. I try to make myself feel better by saying but some of that is for so and so quilt lol... NOT, I bought it for the stash...

So to answer question, no I won't pay that for it, even if I do like it.

Rita

stefanib123 09-06-2010 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Not me!!! The most I have paid is $4.44 a yard. I can't afford the higher priced fabric's. The fabric I buy at wm is just good as the LQS fabric's.

A girl after my own heart!

egagnon291 09-06-2010 06:00 AM

I usually buy at the LQS so I pay about $8-$9 yd. Also look for online bargains. We have had so many QS go out of business here that I like to give them as much business as I can. Besides, I think having a place that knows you and knows what you like is worth the few extra $$. I have actually had the owner call me and tell me there's a new fabric she thinks I'd like. Don't always buy it, but I like the personal touch. Also, if she gives a class and you have your own fabric, there is no pressure to buy from her. I like that, too. A lot of shops want you to buy everything from them.

bluadept 09-06-2010 06:02 AM

So far I have been lucky because I have been able to use the stash that I built up with the many years that I have picked up things for sewing or when I was working at a fabric shop and it was on clearence and then 50 % of that. But I have payed almost $9 for those few fabrics that were for a speciality quilt like my ones for my eagle scouts and monopoly one. otherwise just call me frugal fannie.

Mad Gertie 09-06-2010 06:03 AM

Hi, O I whish I would be able to buy fabrics for $9 ( £ 6.oo ) here in Britain. You may be able to get some base fabrics for £ 6.00 or £7.00, but our prices are in the region of £10.00 to £15.00 per yard, about $15 to $22.
As you can see, quilting is quite an expensive hobby here in Britain. Mad Gertie from Kent

fancifrock 09-06-2010 06:11 AM

It is really difficult to find good matl under $9/yd but watch for sales and on line adds

katlady 09-06-2010 06:39 AM

That is the going rate in all the quilt shops in Minnesota. You can find cheaper fabrics in Wal-Mart which are good for charity & kids quilts. Ben Franklin stores also have cheaper fabrics.