Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does everyone pay... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-everyone-pay-t63102.html)

raptureready 09-05-2010 02:52 PM

I paid $9.99 for the glow-in-the-dark Fairy Frost fabric and didn't care a bit. It was something that I really, really wanted and so far I'm in the process of making three different quilts out of it. I've bought 4 or 5 yds all together. However, that's something that I try very hard not to do. Usually I use from my stash(which is enormous), buy on sale or from thrift stores, garage sales, etc. This past spring I bought huge amounts of fabric from a garage sale where each piece was 50 cents or 3 pcs for $1 no matter how much yardage was there.

CoventryUK 09-05-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi All,

Campion.... where do you get your fabrics??? I live in Bucks and have never paid less that £10.50 (which at present is $16.00) for any moda or similar fabrics.

I would love to pay $9.00.

Hugs

Me too!! At the Festival of Quilts at the NEC recently I paid £27 for a Jelly Roll! in USA 2yrs ago I paid $11 for the same thing!

Sadiemae 09-05-2010 03:29 PM

Moda jelly rolls are now $35 unless on sale.

auntmag 09-05-2010 03:48 PM

Yes, I have paid that much for fabric. I usually try to buy most of mine on sale.

wvdek 09-05-2010 04:21 PM

On occasion I have paid that much for fabric.

QuiltMania 09-05-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ganny
Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Never paid that much in my life. You can find good fabric without having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-05-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
No one ever said this was a cheap hobby. But if you love it enough you'll start cutting up shirts! Less laundry, right? ;)

LOL...... you got it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
and don't leave your old jeans laying around, might need those too, bet they won't be recognized in that scrappy......I can just hear it, " No, Honey not sure where your blue shirt is right now :oops:
Thanks Chele, just set off my wonky humor:)

Woops and I'm off thread :oops:

ganny 09-05-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
I don't know why cotton is so expensive, it is a plant for Pete's sake. You would think that with all the quilter's around buying fabric, that it would be reasonably priced since there must be a ton of it being sold every day. I must be missing something here.

I think this is the reason it is expensive; because quilters do use it. The other materials are probably priced accordingly to cotton.

ganny 09-05-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I paid $9.99 for the glow-in-the-dark Fairy Frost fabric and didn't care a bit. It was something that I really, really wanted and so far I'm in the process of making three different quilts out of it. I've bought 4 or 5 yds all together. However, that's something that I try very hard not to do. Usually I use from my stash(which is enormous), buy on sale or from thrift stores, garage sales, etc. This past spring I bought huge amounts of fabric from a garage sale where each piece was 50 cents or 3 pcs for $1 no matter how much yardage was there.

Great garage sale! Love that kind.

sunkistmi 09-05-2010 05:25 PM

I will pay it if it is something I really want. I have had the experience where I have waited thinking I would get it on sale and then it was gone. One of the fabrics I wanted was deleted out of my "basket" while I was ordering online. There were only 2 places that had any yardage left of it and of course it was over $9.00 a yard, but I had ordered the rest of the line for a quilt and the pattern I needed was a stripe I was using for the border. Hasn't happened very ofen thankfully. Just found a Walmart that had fabric. Found some Thomas Kincade Tinkerbell panel fabric, and two coordinating fabrics on sale. Should have bought all they had but did get a few extra panels that I will take pictures of and offer on the board. It is SO pretty.