Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your machine bite? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-machine-bite-t223692.html)

QuiltnNan 06-14-2013 02:18 PM

i call them leaders and enders, my machine doesn't usually bite

Scraplady 06-14-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by grammy17 (Post 6122393)
I do not understand how you get a quilt from your leaders and enders. I have lots of little pieces. Just trim off 1/8" and keep sewing a line 1/4" from the edge until it is too small and it goes in the doggie bag with the rest of its pieces.

Instead of just sewing onto and off of a scrap for leaders/enders, you would actually be piecing scraps or patches together. Bonnie Hunter has a system for doing this Oof course!), but I have not tried it yet. And I don't trim my leader/ender pieces, just keep sewing over them till they're so full of thread they're too thick and toss them. I mostly use them to conserve thread, my newer machine only "bites" if it's in a bad mood!

Krisb 06-14-2013 03:30 PM

My straight stitch plate hasn't eaten anything yet, but.....

Dina 06-14-2013 04:08 PM

I call that tiny piece of fabric a starter. I was taught to use one when I started quilting 3 years ago, but I rarely use one. My machine doesn't usually fuss.

Dina

nativetexan 06-14-2013 04:10 PM

that used to happen with my Singer but not so much with my Janome. I have a plate on that came with the machine and so far, so good. The singer had two plates. one for straight stitching and another for zig zag or more.

Mariposa 06-14-2013 04:34 PM

my machine usually behaves, so I don't use the leaders & enders idea, but want to, to help work on a scrap quilt for someday :)

Glenda m 06-14-2013 10:29 PM

Most of my machines don't 'bite', but I use a leader and ender to save thread.

DOTTYMO 06-14-2013 10:33 PM

We call leaders etc, pigs.
I have a selection of machines and don't use them I prefer to just hold ends as I start.

cathylynn 06-14-2013 10:52 PM

my Brother doesn't bite but I use starters and enders to save thread.

RavenLunaStitch 06-14-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by grammy17 (Post 6122393)
I do not understand how you get a quilt from your leaders and enders. I have lots of little pieces. Just trim off 1/8" and keep sewing a line 1/4" from the edge until it is too small and it goes in the doggie bag with the rest of its pieces.

I am sewing two scrap blocks together as leaders/enders. The smallest scrap I keep in my "food chain" is 2" blocks. Anything smaller than that gets used as stuffing or is tossed. I always cut as many 2" squares from my scraps as possible. I keep them all mixed together in a drawer next to my sewing machine. I just grab two random pieces at a time to sew together. 2" blocks are the perfect size for leaders/enders and I really do save a lot of thread by using them. After they are sewn together and clipped off of my chained pieces I just throw them into a bin to be pressed and sewn together later. It will probably take forever and a day to get a quilt out of them, but little by little they are adding up quickly!