Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't leave your 2 1/2 inch squares unchaperoned! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-leave-your-2-1-2-inch-squares-unchaperoned-t236626.html)

orangeroom 12-13-2013 09:24 AM

I only cut remaining 'scraps' from finished projects into 2 1/2" strips, if the pieces aren't big enough to be a fat quarter. My fabric cabinet has;
a shelf for flannel and pre-cut 8" batting squares that will one day be in a rag quilt,
a shelf for larger cuts (think 4 yds or more)
a shelf for smaller cuts that stand on edge like books (1/2 yd to 4 yd)
and the top shelf is 2 1/2" strips and fat quarter size cuts

If it's smaller than 2 1/2" I get rid of it. I tried saving smaller pieces, but never used them. You'd be surprised how many patterns can use 2 1/2" strips!

Jingle 12-13-2013 01:58 PM

I am still trying to use up my scraps. I'm thinking I never will as I have made four and hard telling how many more I will be able to make.

Greeter Eva 12-13-2013 03:54 PM

Just recently , I was at a Quilt Show, & there was a group of quilts that had a challenge. They took 2 !/2" squares & made 1/2 square triangles. Out of these 1/2 square triangles They all had to figure out all kinds of designs. I wish I could explain this better, but some looked kind of like some Log Cabins or trip around the world or Greek Key.

toverly 12-13-2013 04:14 PM

Isn't it amazing how scraps just go on and on and on? Maybe they multiply like dust bunnies.

Cottage Dee 12-14-2013 04:42 AM

I did that when I "tried" to move a lot of scraps from one place to another....cutting 2" squares for Double Irish Chains....made a double, and a king, and "still" have enough for a single bed.....oh my! But I do like the Irish chain quilts!

sewbizgirl 12-14-2013 05:49 AM

I would be interested to know what other patterns you use two and a half inch squares for.

Homespun 12-14-2013 05:51 AM

I have the same problem with my string scraps (anything small or less than 2"). I made 65 eight inch blocks and enough piano key strips for a border and the bin still overflows!!!
Making another similar to my avatar.

jeaninmaine 12-14-2013 07:41 AM

I just finished cutting all my collars and neckbands into strings. I've been cutting up shirts for the last year waiting for the energy to sit at the sewing machine and do some of Bonnie Hunters patterns. I now have a huge bag of strings. I love scraps. Next I need to finish cutting for the Sister's Choice quilt I started and can't quite get back to. I spent three nights cutting scraps into two inch squares a few years back, then made the quilt I wanted, then another and it seems like I still have enough squares to make a few more.

jbj137 12-14-2013 08:48 AM

Do you remember Erma Bombeck?

She once wrote if you put 2 wire clothes hangers
in an empty closet alone one morning,
then go back that night they will fall out all over
you. They reproduce like rabbits.

The same with SCRAPS.

Letty 12-14-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX (Post 6454204)
A few years ago, I cut up all my scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares for a quilt pattern I had. Fast forward a few years. I have made 2 full size quilts, several table runners, tote bags, and just this past week, I have sewed 1000 of those little buggers together. I have barely made a dent in my collection. I think they are reproducing when I'm not looking. So if you have a collection, keep an eye on them.

Hi BarbaraTX, Oh so true,I have lots of those squares,21/2 and 3''.The trouble is if you keep leaving them they get frayed, then what ! I must piece them for sure. Letty