Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumb Question here.. What is a jelly Roll.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-question-here-what-jelly-roll-t71757.html)

watterstide 10-23-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
there is now a package of 5 inch strips.....anyone know the name for them? been out a few months and the clerk at the store where I saw them couldn't remember the name.

i think they are called "candy bars"..

ktbb 10-23-2010 05:31 AM

thanks..

Originally Posted by watterstide

Originally Posted by ktbb
there is now a package of 5 inch strips.....anyone know the name for them? been out a few months and the clerk at the store where I saw them couldn't remember the name.

i think they are called "candy bars"..

Mailmanldy 10-23-2010 05:44 AM

Dessert Rolls are 10 strips that are 5" x 45 "
Didn't see any mention of candy bars on the Moda Bakeshop page.

nativetexan 10-23-2010 05:54 AM

I just want sites and catalogs to put the measurements on the pages with all these newly titled cuts of fabrics for those of us who don't know what in the world they are talking about. they might make more sales that way! :D

watterstide 10-23-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
Dessert Rolls are 10 strips that are 5" x 45 "
Didn't see any mention of candy bars on the Moda Bakeshop page.

another group i belong to ,is doing a swap, that is what they are calling them..bars or candy bars..lol

Peggi 10-24-2010 03:05 AM

I had made several quilts w/ jelly rolls & no matter how careful I was - had a stretch problem. At my quilt store it was mentioned to me that sew from the top down on one strip and then from the bottom up on the next one and guess what - it really helped!

NUTMEG10 10-24-2010 03:11 AM

I need to add this to my notebook for future reference. This is great info that I did not know either. Thanks to everyone.

watterstide 10-24-2010 03:20 AM

When i took a class to make the star spin quilt, the teacher said for us to cut out all our strips, and then flip everyone over, so you were taking the opposite end of the strip for each one sewed, same idea.

barbara m 10-24-2010 05:13 AM

It is 35"to 45"strips of different color patterns of material about 2" or 3" wide. Each jelly roll colors blend with each other. they are great and you can use them in so many different ways. I use them to make some totes and purses in wild color combinations. try them you can create so many things besides quilts. barbara Pa. .

Phyl 10-24-2010 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peggi
I had made several quilts w/ jelly rolls & no matter how careful I was - had a stretch problem. At my quilt store it was mentioned to me that sew from the top down on one strip and then from the bottom up on the next one and guess what - it really helped!

I learned, thankfully quickly in my quilting career, that when you sew, you can't sew all in one direction or you get WaVeS in your fabric! I was doing a bargello and "whoooops"! It had waves bigger than a tsunami! Luckily I took it, along with my embarrassment, back to class, and had to laugh at myself.
Think about it......sew a long seam, it stretches......sew the next seam in the same directions, it stretches a bit more. Sigh....I saved the quilt by cutting any flat piece I could find with a six inch square and then used the squares to make a different quilt. I even saved a piece of the original strrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttched bargello to remind me! One up......second, down....third up.....fourth, down ...etc....