Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   early xmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/early-xmas-t67018.html)

penski 09-28-2010 05:52 PM

i love your material and wtg on your find that was a great deal

jitkaau 09-28-2010 09:59 PM

I never wash and never had a problem. If it happened I would consider the odds OK. I only use good stuff anyway - not worth the effort to use elcheapo quality.

Pickles 09-28-2010 10:16 PM

You totally sored there, Great find :D :D

Sewze 09-29-2010 03:15 AM

Lovely group of fabrics. Great find.

zz-pd 09-29-2010 06:50 AM

what a great find. God bless.

Bobbinchick 09-29-2010 07:56 AM

Wow! That pink pionsettia one I have a bunch of that fabric I bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago. I made a runner out of it and will quilt it payday when I go to Walmart to get the batting for it. Enjoy, Huggis, Fay

Elliotsgreatgrandma 09-29-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter
About washing/not washing the fabric pieces, if you steam press them with a hot iron it gives you both parts of washing/drying in the machine. I found that out a long time ago from a friend. The steam is instead of the washing part and the heat instead of the dryer part. It will set colors and help control shrinkage.
Found this out when I had a bunch of squares that were new to me and it was a great solution.

This is what I do, after washing my first bom that I ordered. It raveled so bad. Now my small pieces of fabric I steam iron on an old towel or cloth to catch color.

I would test because red can run and the Christmas fabric is not always the best. If it runs on your towel wash in sink in warm/hot water.

I also had a blue (dark) bleed on my white block in a finished quilt. I was in a hurry and did not wash. The tears I cried over that quilt although I finally got it all out.

bearisgray 09-29-2010 08:28 AM

If I had seen this posting BEFORE you trimmed all the squares - I would have suggested washing them - that way there are no unpleasant surprises later -

Unpleasant surprises "before" are annoying - after the item is put together - they are "disastrous"

Although I do think we overuse words like "disastrous" "horrible" "awful" etc. for some relatively trivial events/happenings/situations.

Looks like you found some nice fabrics.

Annaleehunter 09-29-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
stopped at yard sale advertising fabric. didn't see much special and was over priced anyway but as leaving saw box full of cut xmas fabric squares. asked what she was selling those for as no price tag. only $3.00! Downsize is having to re-cut them - well really just trimming to 6.5 inches (size width of my cutting ruler). I think she must not have used a cutter/ruler system as her squares are a bit wonky. Other downsize is that were not pre-washed and now hope colors don't run. Definitly will use color catchers. But I guess this is always a problem when you buy precut squares. Can't prewash b/c may shrink (and would be a mess) and then have odd sizes of pre-cuts. Do most of you just sew with them and then wash after put together with color guard?

anyway - think will make easy type xmas quilts - maybe D9P ?

IM very HO, I would attempt a Cathedral Window! I have always wanted to make one. There is a great tute here on how to machine stitch one. The Christmas fabrics would make beautiful windows.

Annz 09-29-2010 07:31 PM

Oh wow those all look so nice.