Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-glue-t166879.html)

KerryK 11-07-2011 08:40 PM

I am so uneducated in the quilting world! I would never ever have thought about using Elmers or a glue stick on a quilt. I learn so much here! :)

BETTY62 11-07-2011 08:48 PM

Thanks for asking about the glue. I didn't know I could use Elmers. Nice to know.

katier825 11-08-2011 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady (Post 4650206)
That's the only glue I use......but haven't been able to find the special tip to use. JoAnn's didn't have it so have to keep searching.

I bought the bottle with the tip at Michael's. It was sold in a 2 pack and was located with the other accessories in the aisle with the acrylic paints.

At my local Joann's, they had a package of 6 small empty bottles with the long nozzle (not the metal tip, but they work well). I found them in the aisle with the x-acto knives. I never would have looked for them there...I just happened to come across them when browsing around.

I rarely use the metal tip...it's a pain to clean. I find that if I'm careful, using the long nozzle alone is fine. I generally glue, then iron and it works great!

I use it for bindings mostly, but it works great when you want to match a pattern and don't want your seams to show. I haven't used it for applique, but it would be great for that as well I'm sure.

ckcowl 11-08-2011 02:26 AM

i use glue sticks most of the time- can get them at the dollar store for a 2-pack (sometimes a 4-pack) for $1!!!
works great and washes out.
the basting glue you've seen with the long tip is Roxannes basting glue- available at shops like Keepsake quilting, clotilde's and Nancy's notions---many more i'm sure.
i stick with elmers if i need something different than my glue sticks- much less expensive- and works good

CarrieC 11-08-2011 03:14 AM

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!! I would have never thought of Elmer's School Glue - not in a million years but that makes perfect sense!!!! I can't wait to try this.

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge!!!!

gypsyquilter 11-08-2011 04:11 AM

i use a sew line glue stick, and the refills that go with it. it washes out, and adheres almost instantly. I use it a lot for paper piecing.

lillybeck 11-08-2011 05:02 AM

I see that many already use the glue stick like I do.

susie-susie-susie 11-08-2011 05:38 AM

I use Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It. It's very much like Elmer's. I also love my glue sticks. I wouldn't use FabriTack as it is permanent. The others wash out.
Sue

Deb watkins 11-08-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by neece (Post 4648093)
I love my gluesticks.

I love mine as well. The kids used to look at me funny when we did school supplies, as I tossed in a pack (of 4) just for me. Now that they see what I can DO with GLUE...they just smirk now.

KR 11-08-2011 05:42 AM

Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It is excellent for placing applique pieces. It just takes teensy little drops, sets up quickly and washes out. Available at most LQSs, Connecting Threads, etc.

Elmer's washable school glue stick is good for paper-piecing. I use it to hold the first piece of fabric in place and also some end pieces (after stitching to foundation paper) to hold them in place while trimming.