Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-stash-t205162.html)

Jill_in_Texas 11-06-2012 08:22 AM

I buy the fabrics I love ... those things that catch my eye with no idea of a project for it. Those are the ones that end up in my stash. I do buy pre-cuts occasionally, but they rarely end up in my stash. And I apparently have this thing for fat quarters - I have tons of them. They are absolutely wonderful for a variety of things - lately I'm into fat quarter quilts, so I have quite a head start on them.

snipforfun 11-06-2012 03:16 PM

I think the biggest quilting mistake I made years ago was to buy fabric without a plan. Now I have tons of fabric I dont know how to use it or there isnt enough or too much for a project that leaves an odd amount leftover. And now I cant justify buying any new stuff because of the loads of stuff purchased previously. Like clothing fabric goes out of style. I would love to buy the new batiks but just resist. Fabric stashes can become very burdensome.

ckcowl 11-06-2012 03:46 PM

when i shop for a specific project i purchase 1/2- 1 yard ( or more if i love it think i will use it alot) extra - that way i have extra if i make any mistakes- and i have some to add to the fabric shelves.
if i am purchasing fabric just because i love it & think i will use it in the future i pick up 2-3 yards...more if it is a good background fabric i think i would use alot of (if the price is a deal)
i don't generally purchase pre-cuts- once in a while a charm pack if i want a little piece of a whole collection- or if i am using yardage of a collection and i want to add small amounts of the complete collection- i don't consider pre-cuts part of my stash- i seldom buy fabric just to add to my stash- i buy it for a purpose & enjoy the left-overs :D

LTeachergeorge 11-06-2012 05:51 PM

I never thought of a quilter deliberately building a stash. I know many of us has very substantial stashes (myself included), but I have no idea how it got there. Buy what you like, and hope you still like it when you make something from it. :o

Linda

Knitnoid 11-06-2012 08:48 PM

I have always thought that "stash happens".

maryfrang 11-07-2012 05:16 AM

Missouri Star Quilting is a great way to build your stash. The Daily Specials did it for me.

lclang 11-07-2012 05:23 AM

Inherit fabric, accept gifts of scraps from friends, buy at garage sales or thrift shops. There are many ways to build a stash. I do also buy fabrics at quilts shops, Walmart, JoAnns, etc. but it is sometimes necessary to go a cheaper route if you are on a fixed income. You can use good parts of cast off clothing, linens, as well. I love making bags out of pillowcases and embellishing with parts of old embroidered linens. Yes, I have a stash of old linens, men's ties, goldwashed and sparkly fabrics for embellishment as well. Think outside the box!

maminstl 11-07-2012 06:18 AM

I'm brand new at quilting, so the ideas are coming fast and furious with a variety of colorways. I am spending way too much time on the internet buying 1/2 yards of things that I like. My plan at the moment is to work with those colors, and then go back and buy backing and solids that will work with my color schemes. I am also a knitter, so stashing is very familiar territory for me, and planning projects is half the fun. I just finished my first quilt, and will post a picture when I look up how to make that happen.
Mary Ann in St. Louis MO

pokeyscorner 11-07-2012 04:00 PM

I don't know where all my stash came from but,personally I think they multiply like bunnies!!:p

mcfay 11-07-2012 04:22 PM

I don't mean to hyjack the thread, but, about how many different fabrics are in a jelly roll or charm pack. Haven't ever bought either one. I like to buy the fabric then cut the strips or squares myself. It seems like it would be less expensive.

I have a small stash, I buy at garage sales or goodwill. I have some that was given to me and have some I've bought. I'm going by a ladies house Fri and pick up some scraps she advertized on the swap shop on radio.