Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite Quilting Book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-quilting-book-t191318.html)

jmoore 06-11-2012 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking (Post 5278016)
I use the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting as my reference. It gives good basic instructions for just about everything.

I, too, am just getting into quilting (after a 30 year absence) and I purchased the BH&G Comlete Guide to Quilting and refer to it more than any other quilting book. Yes, YouTube and the internet offer many tutorials but I love getting this book out for simple instruction reminders.

Jean in Ohio13452 06-11-2012 04:35 AM

Quilting Book....

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 (Post 5277835)
I am totally new to this hobby and would like to have a book with the very basics, a quilter's "bible" so to speak. What would you all recommend?

I would go to local Library and look through the section of Books on Quilting so you can see if they have one there to fit your needs... Since our Library has a huge section of Books I could sit there and look for hours.... but that way you can take the Suggestions of other Quilters and look at the books there or at a book store or at local Fabric shop like Joann's etc.. Then you decide which one and maybe you can find it on Amazon at a lower price for a used one in good condition... Good Luck and Welcome....:)

Dogwood Quilter 06-11-2012 04:49 AM

I was going to suggest the same thing that Jean in Ohio said. The library is where I would start. When you find what you are really wanting then buy the book so you will have it for reference. There is a vast amount of information available to you here on the QB, Utube, Quiltville, Eleanor Burns, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the QB. Some LQS have groups of ladies that meet and sew and would love to help you learn. In my area there are some groups of ladies that get together once a month and spend the day sewing together. Happy Quilting and Sewing.

jaciqltznok 06-11-2012 05:28 AM

I have THE "quilter's bible" book. you can see it here....http://www.amazon.com/The-Quilters-B.../dp/0715336266

I even wrote about here before....I have taught quilting for more than 12 years and have to tell you that this book is the absolute BEST ever written....I gave a talk about it at my guild and nearly sold out of books! BUT it was not just NEW quilter's that bought them, it was well experienced ones who noticed what I did about this book...the pix are to die for if you are a visual learner....AND it goes beyond 1/4" seams, bias, curves, etc....it takes you all the way out to different borders, bindings, quilting, you name it!
I have 4 copies left at $15 plus shipping!

Aurora 06-11-2012 05:30 AM

I have a couple and one is actually called "The Quilter's Bible".

vickig626 06-11-2012 05:33 AM

I'm self-taught for the most part so when I first started, I bought the book put out by Joann Fabrics (don't remember the name since I've gifted it to a new quilter). It's got all the info you need to learn the basics of quilting, including hand piecing. I really learned a lot from this one book.

You could also go to the library and see what kinds of books they have.

Welcome to the world of quilting. You're going to love it!!!

teacherbailey 06-11-2012 05:43 AM

I love Quilting for Dummies....except the title, that is! I found it many years after I started quilting and wished I'd had it when I was a newbie.....

Mkotch 06-11-2012 05:44 AM

Fons and Porter's Quilters Complete Guide gets my vote!

quiltstringz 06-11-2012 05:46 AM

I also vote for The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrove and Sharyn Craig. This was one of my first books and still use it as a reference.

w1613s 06-11-2012 05:50 AM

Mine is CREATE YOUR OWN FREE-FORM QUILTS by Rayna Gillman. I have more fun and it aesthetically pleases me. Odd duck?!!!!

Pat