Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   feeling sad that it is all gone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-sad-all-gone-t202836.html)

Grandma Peg 10-11-2012 07:43 PM

Have a few of these and they are so hard to use up. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Dee 10-11-2012 07:49 PM

I too have 2 fabric pieces I just can't seem to cut. Pet it and put it away for another petting day.

ctipton 10-11-2012 07:55 PM

Haven't been doing this long enough to collect much. I mostly just look and wonder:eek: then I can't find the fabric when I find a project for it:confused:

ghquilter53 10-12-2012 02:53 AM

I feel like this with background fabrics...just hate to use them up and can't resist buying them either.

trolleystation 10-12-2012 02:06 PM

Been there and done that. I have a question...can you reccommend a good pattern for roman blinds? Thanks, Lois

alisonquilts 10-12-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation (Post 5580803)
Been there and done that. I have a question...can you reccommend a good pattern for roman blinds? Thanks, Lois

This is where I got the blind pattern I used. The only changes I made were to fix the blind permanently to the board ("batten") instead of attaching it with Velcro, and on most of my blinds I didn't bother with lining since I was using heavy woven upholstery fabric which was opaque already (but that is why I needed to bind them!). They took a fair amount of effort - by the time I was finished I could see why I had been quoted $17/sqft to have them made!

Alison

Favorite Fabrics 10-12-2012 05:44 PM

Why not just set aside a small square of all those fabrics you love? They can be like a memory book. If you remember fabrics like I do (kind of obsessively) even seeing just a 2" bit of it, you'll recall what all of the rest of the design looked like. And you could probably fit literally thousands of 2" squares into a shoebox, and even if you had to move into a tiny trailer or a one-room shack you could still take all those fabric friends with you.

nightquilter 10-13-2012 06:13 PM

I have fabrics I am using now that is christmas theme and I am truely about to greive. I have one left it is a fancy dark red almost wine color with gold swirles that forms cardinals I can not think about cutting so, I am looking for a pattern called fireside snuggler, so I will not have to cut it in small pieces. Why do we do this? It is so funny to my daughters boyfriend, He just doesn't get it.

alisonquilts 10-13-2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by nightquilter (Post 5583421)
I have fabrics I am using now that is christmas theme and I am truely about to greive. I have one left it is a fancy dark red almost wine color with gold swirles that forms cardinals I can not think about cutting so, I am looking for a pattern called fireside snuggler, so I will not have to cut it in small pieces. Why do we do this? It is so funny to my daughters boyfriend, He just doesn't get it.

I think part of not wanting to cut into fabric is that a really good design is art...and we don't cut up art! Even though many of us could make a pretty cool stack'n'whack or one block wonder out of fabric with a repeating Mona Lisa design we wouldn't cut into the original, one-of-a-kind artwork. And that beautiful piece of fabric you are saving is one-of-a-kind, in your stash anyway!

I hope you find your pattern, and when you finally do cut your fabric (even though it will be to make something beautiful) I will feel your pain!

Alison

QuiltnLady1 10-14-2012 10:11 AM

I have a royal blue that is at least 10 years old -- I bought 8 yards and have used it forever in all kinds of quilts. I have a strip 6" wide by 5 yards left and don't know what I will do when this is gone. I had a similar true red piece but it is gone -- sigh. I can't find the shades any more. Sigh.