Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   finishing binding by hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finishing-binding-hand-t249945.html)

jo bauer 07-11-2014 07:54 PM

I prefer hand stitching the binding, because I don't like the little bit of the binding on the back that doesn't get caught in the machine stitch. ( I call it the ledge). I, too, use the ladder stitch, binding clips, thread heaven, anchor the thread around the eye of the needle, and one more thing: I thread several needles on the spool just as I do for hand quilting. Seems to help speed up the process a bit. But then when machine stitching it down, I've been known to miss entire inches of the binding in the back and it takes as long to correct that mess as it does to put it down by hand.:D

newbee3 07-11-2014 08:14 PM

I use a short needle it is a quilting needle and matching thread small stitches and it usually looks good.

debbiemarie 07-11-2014 09:53 PM

It takes me several hours with a throw size quilt, but I feel it is well worth it, since I love the way it turns out.

Anoka Quilter 07-11-2014 11:48 PM

I hand sew all my biding, even on potholders. I can do a king size quilt in about hours. I use the zip clip to keep everything in place and just do a short running stitch.

ann31039 07-12-2014 02:19 AM

Its been easier since I learned the ladder stitch. Looks better also. Is the Thread Heaven beeswax or something different?

sharisews 07-12-2014 02:23 AM

I actually like to sew the binding by hand. I like the look better and it just feels good to work with needle, thread and a thimble.

117becca 07-12-2014 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 6796375)
Thread Heaven. It's a sort of waxy substance that comes in a little blue box. It helps a lot by keeping your thread from tangling. Other than that, just turn on a favorite show (gotta love DVR's) and spend a nice quiet afternoon sitting and sewing. I enjoy doing some handwork. It gives me quiet time.

That Thread Heaven is a miracle worker!! I hand quilt and the person that i'm quilting for now bought a spool of thread that isn't glazed cotton. I bought some and it has been wonderful!!

Gotta second the sewing while watching TV.

mrsponcho1 07-12-2014 01:48 PM

I like to use a quilting needle, size 10 at the moment, and hand quilting thread. Hand quilting thread seems to be stronger. I use to use regular cotton thread and sometimes it would break (I probably was pulling too hard). Keep trying and you will find out what works for you. :)

paoberle 07-13-2014 03:56 AM

Practice. Practice. Practice. I love hand sewing, but it takes practice. I sit in front of the TV and find it is done in no time.

coopah 07-13-2014 04:01 AM

Just to know how wonderful it will look when it's done is enough to keep me going on the hand sewn binding. I do use clips instead of pins. That definitely helps.