Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece back on quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-back-quilt-t149229.html)

Buckeye Rose 11-06-2012 09:41 AM

I've used fleece to back a quilt and it turned out great! Kids love em because they are warm and you can get great prints. I've also added batting to fleece and it is a very warm and fluffy quilt. I used a deco stitch across the seams instead of SITD as it gives a bit of "pretty" to the quilt.

patski 11-06-2012 09:43 AM

I just did one quilt with fleece for the backing and it was a dream to fmq. I then did a quilt with flannel and loved that as much. They seem so much easier to slide and do the fmq on.

Lady Leroo 11-07-2012 07:32 AM

Thank you!

Delta 11-07-2012 07:55 AM

I love fleece on the back of a quilt. and Yes as the others I just a thin batting. you don't need a high loft. well i don't I stipple my own stuff and the stippling really look great on the back of a quilt. good luck just practice on a placemat size and see how you like it first.
Delta

lots2do 11-24-2012 02:04 PM

Thank you all for adding your thoughts to this thread. I have a Christmas present in mind and need to get started on it ASAP!

soccertxi 11-26-2012 07:45 AM

I have even quilted two pieces of fleece together and fringed the edges. I did this the 1st time as a practice piece for a free motion quilting class. LOVED the outcome so much I have fleece ready to go...The thread snuggles right down into the fleece making it look embossed. I am making my DD a quilt out of beer fabric (yes..you read that right!) I am thinking of quilting some words backwards on the front so she can read them on the back...(Maybe "if you can read this, you have had enough beer!"? ) lolol

ArtsyOne 11-26-2012 08:10 AM

I've put fleece and batting on cotton fronts for car seat blankets. Since the fleece is a stretchy fabric, I found it easier to bring it around to the front as a self-binding edge.

lots2do 11-27-2012 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 5680743)
I have even quilted two pieces of fleece together and fringed the edges. I did this the 1st time as a practice piece for a free motion quilting class. LOVED the outcome so much I have fleece ready to go...The thread snuggles right down into the fleece making it look embossed. I am making my DD a quilt out of beer fabric (yes..you read that right!) I am thinking of quilting some words backwards on the front so she can read them on the back...(Maybe "if you can read this, you have had enough beer!"? ) lolol

Love this idea! I already have fleece for two family members - one is a Yankees fan and one is a Red Sox fan - arch rivals in bball of course so this would be kind of cute.

QM 11-27-2012 03:25 PM

I have done this many times, both with and without batting. Since many of my quilts are for foster kids, I can't be sure how good the heating will be where they are eventually. These are always a great hit at the charity where I deliver them. warning: some fleeces are very stretchy and are not a great bet for backing, while others are just fine.

cathyvv 11-27-2012 08:37 PM

Recently used a fleece on the back of a small charity quilt - no batting - and it turned out fine. Used stitch in the ditch method to quilt it on my domestic sewing machine - no walking foot - and it turned out fine. It'll be very cuddly for some little one.