Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flynn Multi Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flynn-multi-frame-t302852.html)

dunster 02-08-2019 08:33 AM

I had one, used it once, sold it. If your intent is to quilt large quilts on it (as I hoped to do) you will find that it is very unwieldy once the long poles have been added. Also you need to be able to move those long poles in both directions, so you need to have space equal to the width of the quilt on both sides of where your sewing machine is sitting. For small quilts (as demonstrated in shows) the frame works nicely, but you don't really need a frame for small quilts.

fruitloop 02-08-2019 09:25 AM

I was lucky. When I bought mine the LQS had a class how to use it. I used the frame for years on my regular machine. Nothing fancy just edge to edge quilting. I quilted queen size quilts in sections. After the first class it took me several practice sessions to get the hang of it and I am glad I stuck with it. The frame did all I could expect until I got my LA.

ILoveToQuilt 02-08-2019 12:38 PM

Sounds like I'll save my money. Thanks everyone!

lwbuchholz 02-09-2019 05:31 AM

I have one and you have to move the frame and there is a very small area to quilt in. I got frustrated and intend to come back to it and see if I can make it work. My daughter bought one at the same time but I don't know if she has used it. Make sure you have a lot of throat room on your machine and know you have to sit at the end of the machine or turn the machine.
Lynda

joetken 02-10-2019 10:34 AM

I have one & my DH purchased longer conduit to enable me to quilt bigger quilts. I like it better than FMQ.

Onebyone 02-10-2019 12:30 PM

Make sure you have a lot of throat room on your machine and know you have to sit at the end of the machine or turn the machine.
I used mine on a old Bernina 1260. Small throat space. I could do edge to edge and roll it on the frame with no problem. I put the Bernina in the middle of two fold out tables. The frame moved from left to right, right to left. I did a simple meander, back and forth. Easy and fast.

LivelyLady 02-10-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8207360)
I used one for years before learning how to free motion on my own. It is like anything else, you have to practice and learn. I got frustrated the first few times but didn't get mad and put it in a closet. I kept on trying and then one day it seemed to click and it was a piece of cake, like learning how to ride a bike. I quilted all my quilts on the JF frame except the very large ones. It's a shame so many give up, it really is a good product.

I liked mine once I mastered it, but now I've moved on to FMQ with rulers. I also loved it for basting my quilts quickly!

MarleneC 02-10-2019 02:40 PM

I thought about one and a friend had one she was going to send me but never did. Now, I'm glad she didn't. I have seen pictures were people have made their own.

Scraplady 02-13-2019 11:32 AM

I considered one a few years ago, but people on this very board mostly advised against it. So I decided against it and just dedicated more time and energy to learning to FMQ without all the "aids."