Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foot-t161131.html)

jitkaau 10-18-2011 04:29 AM

The quarter inch foot and a free motion quilting foot or darning foot. If you don't have it built into your machine, you will need a walking foot.

quiltmom04 10-18-2011 04:54 AM

You probably got a darning foot (or free motion quilting foot)with your machine. I use a 1/4" foot all the time, and an open toe foot to stitch in the ditch. Another thing I would advise you to invest in is a single needle plate for your machine. It REALLY helps keep your fabric from being sucked into your machine when you're piecing. I've used one for years and if I was going to by a new machine that would be one of the first things I'd buy!

tmg 10-18-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
couldn't do without my 1/4 inch, darning, or my walking foot!

Ditto

indymta 10-18-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan

those are my top 3 as well

Ditto...and well worth the price. I've tried to use "barriers" such as tape or sticky notes but always return to the 1/4 foot (w/guide).

franc36 10-18-2011 05:13 AM

Neither could I. Those are the feet I'd suggest.

SherryW 10-18-2011 05:34 AM

the 1/4 foot, the walking foot, and the darning foot.

Lori S 10-18-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Janice Maroni

Same here, love these feet.

I am with the group on this one ! I think these are the most important feet to have if you are a quilter.

jaciqltznok 10-18-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
I use my regular foot.for.piecing, not a quarter inch foot.

My darning foot (i prefer open toe) is a must.for.free motion quilting.

I just got.a.walking foot but haven't used it yet. On Bernina, it costs as much as a cheap sewing machine! It was a splurge for sure, I had been doing ok (but not great) without it.

I also like my clear applique foot for.satin stitch applique...makes turning corners easy.

I now covet the wheel.foot to do curved piecing and the free motion couching foot.for shear fun. Not sure if I eventually want the 1/4 inch foot, and with or without guide...

(sorry for the random periods between words, my.phone does that.)

thank you for the best and most easily understood answer!

jaciqltznok 10-18-2011 05:38 AM

welcome from OK

weezie 10-18-2011 05:43 AM

I don't like or use my 1/4" foot. I don't like the metal bar and I don't have a single hole cover plate. So I use my metal zig zag foot when I piece ... it has right & left markings on it; I use the right mark as a guide to sew a scant 1/4" seam while my needle is in the far left position, where the machine does not try to eat my fabric. If I had to sew those narrow seams with the needle in center position, I would be forced to buy a single hole cover plate.

Besides the aforementioned walking, darning, and satin stitch feet, I also like my stitch in the ditch foot. On that one, the metal bar is a good thing ... it keeps my stitching right where it needs to be. Before I bought the SID foot, my attempts to SID were pitiful.