Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foot-t161131.html)

nancia 10-18-2011 03:42 PM

i can't find a 1/4" foot that fits my old kenmore, so i do without, and it's fine. i know where 1/4" is on my zigzag foot. i just found out last night that i can sid without the walking foot, but that was very inexpensive for my machine, probably under $13, and came with open toe darning, quilting guide and something else i haven't used. i haven't tried to fmq, yet.....so do expect to try that soon. i think all 3 feet make your life easier when quilting, so unless it's undoable money wise i would get them.

Grambi 10-18-2011 05:00 PM

The feet that I use most are: 1/4" with guide, 1/4" without guide, free-motion foot, standard foot and "fancy-stitch" foot (I think that's what Pfaff calls it) that's used for the decorative stitches. Also use the wide-toe applique foot.

Ariannaquilts 10-18-2011 07:37 PM

I bought a walking foot for my Janome that was $40 several yrs ago, then I found a universal one that worked for my Brother machine that was $20. Hancock's has 1/4" ft, open toe and some others that fit the Brother they were relatively inexpensive. Like everyone else I use the walking ft, 1/4, open toe and darning foot the most. I didn't see any difference in the more expensive walking foot and the other.

patdesign 10-18-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Country1
couldn't do without my 1/4 inch, darning, or my walking foot!

Ditto That!!

judy61 10-18-2011 08:17 PM

The walking foot! It's worth the money. And the 1/4" foot. I finally bought one, and wish I had when I first started quilted. What a difference it has made in my accuracy. :-)

sandraphippard 10-19-2011 04:22 AM

Hi,
What kind of machine do you have?. most machines come with all the standard feet that you will need except maybe the walking foot.

purplepamela 10-19-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan

Originally Posted by Country1
couldn't do without my 1/4 inch, darning, or my walking foot!

those are my top 3 as well

Me too. :)

Teach 10-19-2011 07:23 PM

Welcome from ND.

My Pfaff came with the idt (walking foot), and I like my 1/4" foot. I don't have the darning foot....I need to get back to my quilting....Summer and fall jobs have interfered, trying to get them done b/4 dh has foot surgery in 5 weeks.

thevintageseamstress 10-19-2011 07:28 PM

On my vintage 15-91 Singer I use this really really vintage Pfaff embroidery foot, it is awesome and would love to find another, its like gold to me! lol

I could not live without my binder since I love vintage aprons and need to be able to bind them, a bit tricky to master but once you do you will love it.

I like my edge stitcher for applying ric rac on vintage aprons I make.

I really love the ruffler too and could use it all day for no good reason! lol

quilting in my60s 10-19-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by re6ecca22
Wow, what quick responses, I think I might be popping on here pretty regularly when I get started! I have a brother sewing machine. I had a look on ebay and the walking feet seem to vary from £6 to £30. Are the cheap ones as good as the more expensive ones or do you get what you pay for?

I think you get what you pay for. I first bought a generic walking foot for my Viking and it was noisy and didn't do a good job. Glad I was able to take it back and buy one made especially for my machine. Good luck!