Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Foundation Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foundation-piecing-t91700.html)

wildyard 01-19-2011 09:43 PM

I have lots of the "fabric" that bed ruffles are attached to. It is not cotton, but is rather some sort of polyester that has little tiny holes in it. I know one would not use this as backing, but I wonder if it would not work great as foundation for piecing.
I wouldn't think the melting in a fire would be an issue as it would be inside the quilt, and the quilt would have to burn first before the fire got to the foundation fabric. What are your opinions on this, foundation piecers? I haven't done any yet but do hope to try it this year.

postal packin' mama 01-19-2011 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
You can also do paper/foundation piecing without sewing thru the paper, that is the way I prefer.
I prefer fabric foundations.

So does that mean you basically sew the pieces to a light backing/foundation fabric? Sounds better than getting the papers removed, but unless it's a crazy quilt, you'd need to somehow get the lines onto that foundation paper, right?

pittsburgpam 01-19-2011 11:10 PM

Great blocks and patterns.

ladyshuffler 01-19-2011 11:45 PM

Great job..something I have tried and can not conker. :thumbdown:

postal packin' mama 01-20-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by wraez
You can also do paper/foundation piecing without sewing thru the paper, that is the way I prefer.
I prefer fabric foundations.

So does that mean you basically sew the pieces to a light backing/foundation fabric? Sounds better than getting the papers removed, but unless it's a crazy quilt, you'd need to somehow get the lines onto that foundation paper, right?

Oops - on the last sentence, I meant foundation "fabric".
Thanks.

sewgarden 01-20-2011 12:45 AM

Very nice. I really want to try paper piecing

dakj89 01-20-2011 05:27 AM

Love your colors! I tried paper piecing for the first time this week and I think I have a new addiction as well!! It is so fun and easy, can't believe I didn't try it sooner!!

mimiknoxtaylor 01-20-2011 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I have lots of the "fabric" that bed ruffles are attached to. It is not cotton, but is rather some sort of polyester that has little tiny holes in it. I know one would not use this as backing, but I wonder if it would not work great as foundation for piecing.
I wouldn't think the melting in a fire would be an issue as it would be inside the quilt, and the quilt would have to burn first before the fire got to the foundation fabric. What are your opinions on this, foundation piecers? I haven't done any yet but do hope to try it this year.

I would think it would be fine and a great way to use up something that would just go to the landfill. :)

LAB55 01-20-2011 06:37 AM

Beautiful blocks !! Love the colors !!

ontheriver 01-20-2011 06:43 AM

I also love crazy quilts. I have an old one my grandmother made. My mother and I are in the process of making on with silks as I just love the shiny - ness of them. My mom loves to embroider so ours has all the fancy hand stitching on it. Makes it slow going but it is turning out beautiful. Will post pic of first section that is done soon as I can find the darn charger for my camera.