Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting a new iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-new-iron-t24351.html)

Boston1954 08-20-2009 07:58 AM

DH got me a Proctor-Silex a couple of months ago. I LOVE it. Heats up very quickly and the cord moves around on a ball.

Ellis' Granny B 08-20-2009 08:07 AM

I go through irons like a 12 year old with sneakers. I have had two Rowenta's and they blew in a year , right after the warranty. I have had Black and Deckers, G.E. and Sears. I have found the Black and Decker just as effective and lasted longer that my $100 irons. I prefer the smooth metal plate to teflon. For small spaces I bought a tiny presser wand. They are good, but THEY WILL BURN THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YOU IF YOU ACCIDENTSLLY TOUCH THE WAND PART. I think I am missing fingerprints on a few fingers. They do make a newer model with a shield around it. They probably heard some of us holler from the second degree burns :lol:
Ellis' Granny B

nitakhoops 08-20-2009 08:17 AM

I have a Euro-pro. Bought it new on eBay for about $100 a few years ago. I love it. You can have a blast of steam for seams that refuse to lie down or just iron without steam. It has a "trivet" to set the hot iron on so you don't need to worry about scorching your ironing board or fabric. The reservoir (in the trivet base) holds a LOT of distilled water so you can iron a long time without refilling. Highly recommended.

damaquilts 08-20-2009 08:39 AM

I have a T-Fal . I bought it at Target about a year ago and I love it. It does have auto turnoff which I know some don't like but with my sorry brain I have to have. It sits sturdy on my ironing board which is something I had a problem with all the others kept falling over when I moved my board, which I have to do often to get at other things. It does have steam but I only use it occasionally. I mostly keep the steam off and use a spray bottle.
It gets hot quickly. I have no complaints about it except the steam does leak but so has every other iron I have ever had. As Ricky Tims said on his show one day ,all irons get incontinent eventually"

http://www.target.com/T-Fal-Ultragli...Comfort-Handle

This is the iron , I see now that Target is not carrying them in the store any longer but this is the price I paid for it then too.

damaquilts 08-20-2009 08:40 AM

Ok I just checked the link and it says not found. So just go to Target and look for T-Fal and look for the iron. They also make pots and pans.

busiacam 08-20-2009 08:43 AM

I have a Rowenta sew 'n press that I have been using for years. This is the second one I've had. The first Rowenta died after years of constant use and the kids bought me this one for a Christmas gift. I found another Rowenta that I have for a back up at a department store on clearance for $40 or so...no box and it was the display model. Love the Rowentas and don't know if I would ever switch.
Chris from AZ

butterflywing 08-20-2009 11:29 AM

i always use the GE or the sunbeam ones. plenty of steam. non-teflon is my preference but i can't always find it. i take it anyway. i'm not easy on irons. i bump into my regular board in the laundry room and knock the irons off. the one i'm using now has no off switch anyore :oops: but it still goes great. i just unplug when i'm done. the plastic is all broken, but no drips. i never NEVER spend more then $20. usually floor models for $10. :mrgreen: i have never had a problem that butterflywing did not cause :lol: :lol:.

the GE i'm using now is about5 - 6 yrs old. i already have it's grave dug, but it refuses to die. :wink: .

mlouw2 08-20-2009 12:28 PM

The gal I took my quilts to be longarmed quilted put me on to the Black & Decker model 2020. I just love it. My husband bought me a Rowenta for Christmas(at my suggestion) and I do not like the way it takes awhile to heat up. I also use a Black & Decker fold up travel iron found at thrift stores for me quilting classes. Good luck!

SuzzyQ 08-20-2009 12:41 PM

I never use the steam function of my iron so I have no problems with dripping or rust stains. Instead I have a fine mist spray bottle (baby tagle free conditioner) and use a press cloth when I need steam.

quiltmom04 08-20-2009 12:58 PM

I have a heavy "retro' looking Black and Decker that doesn't shut itself off - that's a feature that's hard to find! I've had 2 rowentas - both began to leak after a few months. I had a class where I used the Rowenta steam machine, and it leaked terribly! I'm going for HEAVY moderately priced ones from here on!