Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Glue tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/glue-tips-t174100.html)

jgriinke 01-02-2012 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ladycaller (Post 4833256)
I have used Sharon's glue technic and mentioned it to a quilt instructor,she almost had a heart attack.It works for me ,but told me never to put glue on a quilt not even the washable.

I really have a problem with teachers that say - "Never do this or that." Never is a really long time. Try it all and see if you like it, then go from there.
Where would we be today if no one every went ahead and quilted by machine. I know, some of the old school quilters will say it has to be done by hand. I would still be working on my first quilt if I did that.
I have tried lots of things, some work for me and some don't. We don't move ahead if we are stuck in the "Never do that" times.
JMHO. :thumbup:

Morag 01-02-2012 11:00 AM

Roxanne's glue baste is the only place I found that thin metal applicator that fitson the end of the glue bottle.
I ordered it on line from Roxanne's site. It is the same one that Sharon S. uses on her videos. I really like that it only places a very small drop of glue on the fabric.

texpat45 01-02-2012 11:12 AM

I have the Roxanne's and love that little applicator bottle. I've been using Elmer's straight from the bottle w/good success at keeping the dots small...if not I use a toothpick to pick up the excess to put somewere else. I still have some Rosanne's left. I use glue sticks and small pieces of Steam-a-Seam2, as well. I'm working on some applique blocks and haven't done a binding yet w/glue but I will.

noahscats7 01-02-2012 12:06 PM

I have the applicator bottle and tips and it is so much easier just to use the tip on the bottle. Just adjust the amount by how far you open the tip. I glue most all binding, either completely or just the mitered corners. glenda

luvTooQuilt 01-02-2012 01:24 PM

I re-use the glue bottles and tips. Its Washable.. so why not.

tjradj 01-02-2012 01:38 PM

If you can't find them with the paints at Michaels, try the cake decorating section. That's where I got mine.

jhoward 01-02-2012 03:02 PM

Have thought about using meat basters, ones with a syringe like and needle. I haven't tried it, but will. I've been using the school glue and glue sticks...both work well. I love them.

Lois-nounoe 01-02-2012 03:43 PM

I put Elmer's in an empty (washed clean) ink cartriage refill container. Best use of those things I ever had. The thin tip is perfect and the accordian like bottle can be squeased just right!

Groucho 01-03-2012 10:15 AM

You can make your own glue tip using a Bic mechanical pencil. You want the "cheap" pencils that are typically sold in multiples. I have NOT done this myself, but found the following instructions for anyone brave enough to try them:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
You need: Bottle of Elmer's washable School Glue; Bic mechanical pencil (0.5).
Directions:
Remove the point part from the pencil. Use it to score a line on the orange cap of the glue.Pop the orange cap off the glue bottle after "unscrewing" it all the way out.Cut the top part of the glue bottle off below the first ridge after it stops tapering down.Cut the top off the orange top part of the bottle along the scored line you made.Insert the pencil point in the orange cap so the point is out through the enlarged opening you just cut. Push itfirmly into place.Replace the orange cap on the bottle.
Use a knitting needle point protector (Clover makes one) as a sealing cap on the bottle.
------------------------------------------------------
I am currently using a plastic bottle with a metal tip that I purchased at our local hobby store. I found the bottle in the section where they sell models.