Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Class Behavior by the Students (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-class-behavior-students-t292933.html)

peaceandjoy 11-29-2017 10:20 AM

I agree with all of the above. As far as the phone - silence it, unless you are expecting an important call. If that is the case, try to arrange to be near the exit should you need to take a call - and keep it brief. The class shouldn't have to wait for your return, or for the instructor to reteach what you missed.

Onebyone 11-29-2017 10:28 AM

My family knows to text when I'm in a meeting or class not call. I keep the ringer on silent.

RedGarnet222 11-29-2017 10:38 AM

To insure a well behaved group, perhaps a this list should be given out ahead of time. Then people are aware of the rules.

true4uca 11-29-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7952747)
I'll add one more - don't wear really strong fragrance! I think a lot of older ladies can't smell how strong their perfume is - I've attended classes that made me feel like I was going to be ill from all the fragrance in the room, and I'm not normally that sensitive to it. It's really hard to focus on the teacher when you feel like you're having trouble breathing!

I've heard your sense of smell is the first thing to go. Don/t ask how I know. LOL.

Sandra in Minnesota 11-29-2017 06:50 PM

If you have a hearing aid - please wear it!

nannykins8 11-29-2017 07:00 PM

And if it is a class over several sessions, try to have your " homework" done. Trying to catch up in class just holds everyone up.

tscweaves 11-29-2017 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7952850)
To insure a well behaved group, perhaps a this list should be given out ahead of time. Then people are aware of the rules.

I find that is a really sad comment on how our society has deteriorated. Common courtesy is no longer common and must be printed as "rules".

Quilt30 11-29-2017 07:40 PM

One time two students brought their new machines still in the box to a machine quilting class. Another brought sn off brand machine her husband had bought her for their cabin. She didn't know how to use it. Teachers are not sewing machine mechanics or machine troubleshooters.

minibarn 11-29-2017 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7953222)
I find that is a really sad comment on how our society has deteriorated. Common courtesy is no longer common and must be printed as "rules".

I thought the same thing. Seems like as adults we should be able to figure this stuff out w/out having the get a set of very obvious rules ahead of time.

quiltingshorttimer 11-29-2017 08:30 PM

on the paying attention I would clarify that when the instructor is talking to the whole class about the next direction or a tip--stop and listen! Seems there are always those that keep plowing ahead with their sewing, or cutting and then want individual attention because they didn't listen.