Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gutterman's Hand Quilting Thread??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guttermans-hand-quilting-thread-t59262.html)

applique 08-14-2010 05:17 PM

Gutterman is now being made in Mexico and you are correct it is not as good. I've gone back to Mettler for hand quilting, it is also what I use for machine applique.

JHolm 08-15-2010 03:16 AM

I use Gutterman's thread all the time and love it. It's strong and durable and easy to work with.

nantucketsue 08-15-2010 04:08 AM

This is definitely my preferred thread for hand quilting. I have tried several others, but always come back to this one. I am gradually building up a collection of Masterpiece for piecing, but still trying to find the perfect machine quilting thread.

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-15-2010 04:14 AM

I've also switched from Gutermann to Metler and Metrosene because of the decline in quality when Gutermann's moved thread manufacturing to Mexico for the US market. It's rumored the move was made to accomodate JoAnn's as they wanted to stock it but needed lower pricing. Of course, when prices are lowered, something has to be sacrificed. I began noticing marked difference in excessive lint buildup.

nantucketsue 08-15-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
I've also switched from Gutermann to Metler and Metrosene because of the decline in quality when Gutermann's moved thread manufacturing to Mexico for the US market. It's rumored the move was made to accomodate JoAnn's as they wanted to stock it but needed lower pricing. Of course, when prices are lowered, something has to be sacrificed. I began noticing marked difference in excessive lint buildup.

There is no excuse for inferior quality if a product is made elsewhere. Gutterman will only lose sales if this is true. So far I only have Made in Germany so cannot comment on the Mexican product.

ka9sdn 08-15-2010 04:51 AM

I use Gutterman for all my general sewing and love it. I also use their silk thread for my applique work and it i great. I don't hand quilt so don't know about it but I would trust it.

Bev 08-15-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by JCquilts

My machine service man told me to look on the spool and make sure it says "Made in Germany" not "Made in Mexico."
I will have to watch for this!! I love Gutterman's thread.
I use only this brand for piecing and also use the Hand Quilting thread.
You have me curious about the Made in Mexico.. Any idea what stores sell that product vs. the Made in Germany product?

He just said that he's noticed more lint build up with the machines of quilters who buy the made in Mexico one. I do know that he has a real thing about lint in machines. I try hard to go by what he tells me because he's been servicing the sewing machines of my guild buddies for over 25 years now. And I've never heard a complaint about him.

grann of 6 08-15-2010 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hi hand quilters,
Has anyone used this? If so, did you like it? I saw it at a LQS and later at Joann's. One of the greens is a perfect match for a project I have in mind for the fall but wasn't sure if anyone else had used it.
When I checked it for the color match, it seemed thinner than the Coat's and Clark thread I used years ago. Less stiff, as well.
Thanks in advance,
lots2do

Love Gutermanns, it is the best you can buy. I hate C&C. You get what you pay for. If you pull out a strand of C&C you will find it lumpy and fuzzy. Gutermanns is smooth and sews like a dream.

Nona 08-15-2010 07:51 AM

I always use Gutterman or Metrosene if at all possible. I have grown disenchanted with Clarks and Coats over the years.

rismstress 08-15-2010 08:13 AM

I use Connecting Threads thread for machine piecing. Very little lint. It comes in large enough spools that I can piece a double sized top with only 2 spools. Plus the cost is terrific. I use YLI for hand quilting. The coats and clarks shreds/splits and breaks. I will give the Metrosene a try and maybe the Gutterman if it's german- made.
Cheryl