Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand-embroidered quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-embroidered-quilts-t296661.html)

Karamarie 05-04-2018 03:37 AM

I incorporate embroidery a lot in my quilting. Just incorporate embroidery blocks with traditional quilt blocks in a quilt. A good way to start.

Jane Quilter 05-04-2018 03:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love to embroider on quilts. Here is my primitive Christmas quilt and a close up, :

MaryKatherine 05-04-2018 04:13 AM

Crab-Apple Hill has a whole series of quilts on which embroidery plays a large part.

JanieH 05-04-2018 06:02 AM

Crabapple Hill and Bird Brain Designs both have embroidery patterns for quilts.
Annie's has a lot of quilt blocks to embroider for quilts also.

KalamaQuilts 05-04-2018 06:16 AM

Little Brown Bird quilt incorporates hand embroidery in the vining.
I'm the worlds worst at embroidery, so the quilts I've done that called for it, I've done pen work.

QuiltingNinaSue 05-04-2018 06:37 AM

SewBizGirl, that is a lovely quilt you made! I found my grandmother's gold/brown cross stitched quilt blocks that I had forgotten about. She made them for me in the 70s, and have moved them a number of times. They are at the top of my bucket list now. They will remind me of her love on every stitch I make to put them together. Thank you all for posting this thread.

sak658 05-04-2018 09:14 AM

My sister that passed away in 2004 with colon cancer at the age of 59...she had embroidered enough blocks that I made her grand-daughter and my two grown daughters and myself all a regular size quilt using all the blocks..I had 6 blocks left and I made my other sister and myself a table runner out of those 6...She lived out of town and traveled a lot, and she would embroidery in the car...the blocks were in a pkg of 6 at Walmart years ago...and they were 18" square... I got all her sewing and quilting things when she passed away....and I lost my MOM at 93, 5 months before my sister...it was a long time before I could do any quilting, but I knew they would want me to continue, after grieving for so long, I finally went back to making quilts...about 6 years ago...I still miss them both everyday...we grew up under My mom's hanging quilting frames from the ceiling...she would hand quilt for women back then for $25 a quilt...can't imagine doing that now...I'm 75 and that was a long time ago...

sJens 05-04-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8051529)
Here's one I did, called Aunt Bea's Parlor. Hand embroidery, 1930's repro prints, and big stitch quilting with floss.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593901[/ATTACH]

WOW, this is beautiful.

sewvicki 05-04-2018 10:18 AM

I combine machine embroidery and quilting all the time. No reason at all why you couldn't do some pretty hand embroidery on blocks and incorporate them into a quilt. Have fun.

oreo1912 05-04-2018 06:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My 85 yr old mother embroiders and I set & quilt them. Some I have used the crayon technique to add some color.