Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Piecing...Best Thread to use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-piecing-best-thread-use-t212616.html)

riutzelj 02-01-2013 08:27 AM

using a bit of bees wax seems to be the key. note to others when i couldn't find my sliver of quilting beeswax, i used one of the beeswax candles we always have on hand. It worked great and is easier to find.

Treasureit 02-01-2013 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the good advise. Still some confused. I started using Gutermann then added bees wax and still had issues of breaking and tangles. Just bought a new thread at the quilt show in the YLI booth, but now I see it is "Star Brand"...is that YLI? It is 50wt and breaks a lot. I went through all the brands I have and just tried to break them with my hands and they all broke fairly easily. I will change the needle and move it often to see if it helps. I had heard about knotting from the end near the spool before...but forgot about it...all helpful!

oh munner 02-01-2013 11:03 AM

I've been working on a grandmother's flower garden quilt as well, and have found that good old fashioned Coats and Clark 100% cotton works the best. I use a double thread and sometimes a bit of bees wax... when I think of it... and have had good luck with my choice. My opinion is that if it was good enough for mom and grandma, it's good enough for me.

RedGarnet222 02-01-2013 11:14 AM

When I used to hand piece I always used a doubled strand of quilting thread. It worked really well and was strong. The trick is to lay your tail upon the work and not allow it to twist between stitches. The thread heaven helps with other type threads.

bearisgray 02-01-2013 11:31 AM

Is your thread still in good condition?

Sometimes it will break down (get weak and break easily) when stored in unfavorable conditions.

I give most older thread a 'yank test' to see if it is still strong.

bearisgray 02-01-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5829406)
It's also possible that your needle is causing the breaks - I try and move the needle every once in a while so I don't wear the thread at the eye.

Janet

I agree with this statement.

I also use the 'old' cotton covered Dual Duty thread by Coats & Clark. It seems to be working well.

Traditional Quilter 02-02-2013 07:26 PM

I am also making a GMG using English paper piecing method. I use YLI Select, my favorite hand sewing thread. Because I couldn't find YLI Select in some of the colors I needed I bought Gutterman's 50wt. and I hate it. Have to constantly coat it with Thread Heaven and it still tangles. I use Presencia in my machine, but haven't tried it for hand sewing. I'll try it. If it's as tangle free as YLI, I'll use it because I believe I can get more colors in that brand.

Treasureit 02-04-2013 08:08 PM

I can tell you that Gutermann and Star brand are not good. I think I have one spool of YLI that someone gave me...will see if it works better.

bsktkeeper 02-04-2013 09:42 PM

I use "King Tut" for hand quilting . I know it's more expensive, but if I'm spending all that time & work , I want a thread that's easy to work with .

117becca 02-05-2013 03:04 AM

how long is the piece of thread that you're using? I don't hand piece, but I do hand quilt and when i get too long of a piece of thread, it knots up and breaks - even the YLI stuff. I try to stay around 18 inches..