Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is hand piecing really becoming extinct? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-piecing-really-becoming-extinct-t66406.html)

Matilda 09-24-2010 09:20 PM

I do some times, but not always.

huntannette 09-24-2010 09:47 PM

I do!!

sherriequilts 09-24-2010 10:20 PM

To SueKitten1

noticed that you are NEW! Yeah and welcome to QB. Enjoy.

I am recovering from bilateral total knee replacement and thought that this would be a great time to try my hand at hand piecing! I have a block of the month collection which includes applique as well as piecing. I did a 6 1/2 inch block yesterday but will have to rip out a third of it as I am not satisfied with my work! Do I really want to do a WHOLE quilt this way? not sure, but certainly will not be sitting at a machine for quite a while yet!!!

campion 09-25-2010 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first big quilt and it's hand pieced,made about
8 years ago

campion 09-25-2010 02:31 AM

Ps it's quilt as you go --sorry for photo it's nit very good

cmosey 09-25-2010 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't hand piece all of my quilts, but I do many of them. I find it relaxing, more accurate (for me), and I get more accomplished when I hand piece than when I machine piece. I have a hard time sitting at the sewing machine in the basement for hours on end!

The last quilt I made by hand piecing is this Bear's Paw. I made it while sitting with my mom at home and in the hospital before she died. She had to touch each block and stroke it with her hands. I prepared the pieces in advance and always carried a ziplock bag with me, one block per bag. Each block has a different green print. She loved my quilting, and the memories I have of making this quilt are priceless.

Bears Paw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115372[/ATTACH]

leatheflea 09-25-2010 04:03 AM

I admire those who do hand piece, but i only know one woman who does and it takes her a year or more to finish quilt.

cmosey 09-25-2010 04:24 AM

I guess everyone has their own goals. I would much rather enjoy the process of making a gorgeous, well-made quilt that takes several years than crank out lots of quick quilts and be able to say I completed a lot of quilts. Too much in life is done to fast now days...

teddysmom 09-25-2010 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Susie42quilter
Here in Ms hand quilters and piecers meet on Mon., and Tues. from 9am to 3:30pm for our therapy. We have a great
time and all the ladies are great friends.
HERE HAND PIECING AND QUILTING ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE

AND WELL!

Wow! What a great time you must have. No noise of the machines, etc. just time to sew and visit. Treasure what you have with these other ladies.

teddysmom 09-25-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I admire those who do hand piece, but i only know one woman who does and it takes her a year or more to finish quilt.

I also hand piece and hand quilt. I'm doing a queen size now--started in May and it may take me a year but I'm in no hurry. When it gets to the point that I'm in a hurry to finish, it's no longer relaxing and great therapy for me. So I just enjoy the process and will eventually finish the project.