Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t83634.html)

qltncat 05-01-2011 04:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by quilter53
I would love to see pics of your mini whole cloth quilts.

Originally Posted by qltncat
I am a handquilter, and I also quilt on my sewing machine, and sometimes I do both. Lately, I like to handquilt mini-wholecloths in colored thread.

Here are some pictures - thanks for asking.

I purchase pre-printed stencils, or sometimes I draw my own. These are 18" x 18", and the largest one is 45" x 45".

I like to give these little ones as gifts.

Lins

Stitchnripper 05-01-2011 04:46 PM

Your quilting is stunning!!!!

quilter53 05-01-2011 04:49 PM

Beautiful! Thank you for showing them.

retrogirl02 05-01-2011 05:52 PM

There is a user defined section for handquilting. It's a great way to catch all the posts. =)

Borntohandquilt 05-01-2011 10:21 PM

@qltncat: Thank you for sharing, your quilts are beautiful! I like the look of the contrasting thread on the light fabric.
When you do your own designs, what do you inspire? Or do you just do freehand quilting?

BrandyMcCoy 05-23-2011 07:54 PM

I hand quilt also, thats what I learned when I was little been doing it ever since. I also machine quilt but only when my husband is at work. I like to hand quilt when he is home so I can sit with him on the couch:)

qltncat 05-24-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
@qltncat: Thank you for sharing, your quilts are beautiful! I like the look of the contrasting thread on the light fabric.
When you do your own designs, what do you inspire? Or do you just do freehand quilting?

I'm sorry it took so long to respond to you. I like to use contrasting thread on light backgrounds. It really "pops" the stitches, in my opinion.

I don't freehand, I usually fold paper and cut it, like making snowflakes as a child. Then I have this blown up to 16"x16" (or whatever size I want) at the copy shop. I trace this photocopy onto freezer paper, which cleans up the lines that became thick with the enlargement. I iron the freezer paper to the wrong side of the quilt top fabric. I don't have a lightbox, so I tape the top to a window and redraw the lines with a water soluble pen. I "sandwich" the quilt and baste it. I'm now ready to quilt!

Thanks for asking.

Linda

Kristin in ME 09-20-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
There is a user defined section for handquilting. It's a great way to catch all the posts. =)

Little late coming to this... but wondering how you find this section?

Also, doesn't sound like there is one, but I'd love to be added to a list of handquilters for hire if there is one! :)

lfw045 09-20-2011 07:09 AM

I had quilt when I have a project to do. It is very relaxing!

marscrafter 09-20-2011 10:56 AM

I hand quilt as well, unless it's going to be a heavily washed quilt. It's fun to have a project you can do hanging out with your family.