Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand sewn binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-sewn-binding-t183652.html)

virtualbernie 03-22-2012 11:30 AM

Another quilter on this board (I think it was Kitsie--but don't hold me to it, lol), blanket stitched hers down and it was gorgeous!

GrannieAnnie 03-22-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tammi M (Post 5081245)
I have never sewn my quilt binding on the back of the quilt by hand. I generally sew it to the back by machine, and then fold it over the front and sew that by machine also. If I were to stitch it by hand to the back of the quilt, what suggestions does anyone have as to the stitch I should use?
Thanks-I really enjoy the suggestions I find on the Board!

Question----------Am I understanding that you want to hand sew the binding twice------------once to get the binding ONTO the quilt and then again to finish off the binding ?

Nosey Question? Why do you want to use hand stitchery?

humbird 03-22-2012 11:52 AM

I machine stitch to the front, then ladder stitch on the back.

ShowMama 03-22-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready (Post 5081277)
Blind hem stitch and SMALL stitches. Usually about 1/4" is what I use. If you are planning to show it, the stitches need to be pretty much invisible and close enough together so that you can't insert a pinkie fingernail in the gap between the stitches. I do mine while watching tv and it usually takes anywhere from a couple of hours (for a baby quilt) to several evenings for a king size.

This is my method too. Oh, and I use hand-quilting thread as it seems to be stronger that all-purpose thread.

jljack 03-22-2012 12:15 PM

I use a single strand of regular sewing thread, sewing by hand on the back with the blind hem stitch. I like the finish it gives. Even though I have entered quilts for judging, I have never sewn my mitered corners shut, and I wasn't ever marked down for it. But I believe it depends on the judge and the professional level of the show.

Jackie Spencer 03-22-2012 12:37 PM

invisable applique stitch

Nanaquilts44 03-22-2012 12:40 PM

I use two threads and do a blind hem stitch. Learned to do it that way years ago. I like the other methods posted here too.

happysteve 03-22-2012 01:34 PM

would anyone know where I could find a Long and Winding Road Bargello quilt pattern so I don't have to purchase the complete book?

Thanks
SCC

happysteve 03-22-2012 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321728[/ATTACH]

I am open to suggestions for quilting my quilt for some fantastic friends.

Thanks
SCC

Pinkiris 03-22-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by happysteve (Post 5082523)
would anyone know where I could find a Long and Winding Road Bargello quilt pattern so I don't have to purchase the complete book?

Thanks
SCC

You might try looking at your local library if you know the author. I'm afraid that your question will get lost in this "thread" about hand-sewn binding. Try posting again in the "looking for" section.