Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-blades-t185051.html)

bmanley 04-06-2012 06:19 PM

I didn't like them either. They just wouldn't cut for me either.

ILoveToQuilt 04-07-2012 05:15 AM

I just tried my first pack of HF blades. One: they have a very oily finish on them. Yuck. Two - the first blade I tried wouldn't even cut a single layer of fabric cleanly. It would cut, leave a bit of fabric, cut again, leave fabric (hope you can visualize this). Even though I only paid $1.59 (had 20% coupon) for the blades, I will stick with the name brands - at least for now. Perhaps I will try them again. BTW - they fit my Fiskars, Olfa, Clover and generic 45 mm cutters with no problem and rolled in each one. They just didn't cut cleanly.

hairquilt 04-07-2012 05:24 AM

They work great for me also. The one I'm using now is about 6 mnths old & still cuts great!

quiltinglady-1 04-07-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Karol (Post 5116810)
I tried. Honestly. Thought I could save some money, listened to the QB about how some were happy with them.......
I ordered 10 packages online, more or less 20$, gave some to friends to enjoy....
There were two problems. They don't roll in either a Fiskar handle or an Olfa cutter. The blade does not turn.
I guess the second problem is somewhat obvious; they do not cut fabric.
I will be quite reluctant to try such suggestions from the board in the future.
Karol

I sure hate to hear that you will no longer utilize the wonderful wealth of information on this board due to having had one small negative experience with something that could probably easily be rectified. Do as someone suggested and make sure you only have one blade in there and check to see how tight your nut is because I use those blades all the time and so do a number of my quilting buddies.

quiltinglady-1 04-07-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 5123038)
I just tried my first pack of HF blades. One: they have a very oily finish on them. Yuck. Two - the first blade I tried wouldn't even cut a single layer of fabric cleanly. It would cut, leave a bit of fabric, cut again, leave fabric (hope you can visualize this). Even though I only paid $1.59 (had 20% coupon) for the blades, I will stick with the name brands - at least for now. Perhaps I will try them again. BTW - they fit my Fiskars, Olfa, Clover and generic 45 mm cutters with no problem and rolled in each one. They just didn't cut cleanly.

I have gotten an occasional blade that skipped with HF blades, but then I also have gotten some of the expensive blades that skipped, so it really can happen to any of the manufacturers.

biotechlady 04-07-2012 07:20 AM

I purchased one set at their store and tried them. Did not work for me either. Pitched them and went back to my old fiskars ones. Was bummed, but moved on.

justflyingin 04-07-2012 08:51 AM

Mine weren't as good as the more expensive kinds, but I wouldn't say "throw them out". But I do prefer Olfa.

justflyingin 04-07-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 5123038)

This was my problem. I bought mine in FL at the Lakeland HF. I figured it was just a bad batch. A couple were really bad and wouldn't cut at all. They all fit.

denveremerson 04-07-2012 12:59 PM

They work in my Fiskars handle, but it's true, sometimes there's one little spot that is not sharp, so I cut twice. It usually solves the problem.

Delilah 04-07-2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by coopah (Post 5122261)
One more thought. I return my used blades to LP Sharp along with a check and they send me brand new blades in exchange http://lpsharp.com/3.html. The prices are excellent ($3 or new Olfa for example) and the added benefit is that I am able to recycle the old blades instead of throwing them away.

Oh my goodness!! I never knew about this place! What a benefit to be able to recycle the old and get new ones for what look like (to me) a very reasonable price. Plus, now no more worries about anyone getting cut on the discards! Even though I wrap them and tape them securely, it's always a worry to discard them. Thank you for this address![/QUOTE]

I should add that they do not charge shipping when they send the new blades out. That just makes a really good deal even better. The best part for me is that they recycle the old blades. I just hate throwing them away!