Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-been-crazy-enough-rip-out-machine-quilting-stitches-t79312.html)

chamby 11-29-2010 11:22 AM

Yes, I started doing the stitch in the ditch on a small quilt. I was not pleased at all. So I took it out and hand quilted it.

CarolinePaj 11-29-2010 11:28 AM

It is a beautiful quilt and deserves to be quilted as you want it to be.

Hugs

Tawnya's Mom 11-29-2010 12:04 PM

Yes, not a favorite thing to do. I had a very close friend who had her quilt professional done and it turned out horribly. She took out all the quilting but found that the borders had been stretched and were "wavy." She took off the borders also. I suggested that she take several measurements down and across the quilt to try and come up with a good measurement to put the borders back in. She did and it seemed to work. But what a job for her! :cry:

Tweety2911 11-29-2010 12:54 PM

Yes. You will never be happy with it until the quilting is right. You will be glad you did! Good Luck.

Farm Quilter 11-29-2010 03:09 PM

Oh yes! I machine quilt as a business and if it is not up to my standards, out it comes! Took me 16 hours to remove the feathers on 2 borders on the last frogging spree because my tension wasn't right. I did find it easier to remove the stitching from the back side, so give that a try. I have also "fixed" a quilt that a friend had another longarmer quilt for her (before I started quilting) - appliqued Sunbonnet Sue - the quilter did a couple of rounds of echo quilting (badly) and decided that was enough, leaving huge areas of empty! I told her to remove the quilting and I re-did the echos all the way to the edges of the blocks.

If you are unhappy with it and remove the quilting, you could either hand quilt it or have another longarmer quilt it. If you want something specific on a quilt, it really helps to tell your LAer so they can do what you want. You might also take it back to the first LAer and tell her how disappointed you are in the quilting and see if she fix it or refund your money. She just may not have the skills necessary to do the job you want!

Judie 11-29-2010 03:21 PM

I always feel like if something really bothers me then I need to change it.. or it will bother me every time I look at it and every time I think about it.. Life is too short to have something around that is such a bother... So it takes a week or two weeks or a month... In a year it will be beautiful and you'll be happy, or in a year you'll still be wishing you would have fixed it.

In the end I've never been sorry I went to the extra work of fixing something! Take out the stitching and you'll be glad you did!

Farm Quilter 11-29-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
The one point I want to make....if you have the binding on, and no extra backing around the edges, it'll be impossible for a longarm to do the quilting -- unless maybe you ADD a 5 inch border on the backing to be taken off later.

I have put bound quilts on my longarm and fixed quilting for friends several times. Maybe because I am a relatively new quilter - 2 years - and I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do this, I did it! Just pin through the binding onto the leaders and it works very well! No need to add backing or border or to remove the binding.

We need the extra backing and batting when we quilt the quilt the first time because the quilting causes the layers to creep and pull in, but an already-quilted quilt is put on the frame, it's stable and it can go on the frame to add some quilting.

If she skins the quilt completely, it probably wasn't bound or trimmed, so the size would be the same as when it was first quilted.

This quilt is so beautiful and I can just picture how the custom quilting in each block should look!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt all quilted...with close-ups of the quilting!

PieceandLuv 11-29-2010 04:23 PM

hi your quilt is sew beautiful........can you tell us the name of the pattern or is it a kit would love to know.........thanks in advance love it ........

firequilt 11-29-2010 04:34 PM

Yes I ripped out a queen size quilt, about 5 years ago because of poor machine quilting. It was awful!! My husband looked at the back of the quilt and saw all the loose stitches. Thankfully I had not bound it at that point. It took me 4 months to rip out. It was worth it and it is one of my favorite quilts.
You could baste some extra fabric on the edges so another machine quilter could work on it.
Good luck on whatever you decide to to.

quiltwoman 11-29-2010 04:39 PM

I have ripped out a queen-sized FMQ before--still waiting to be finished 2 years later :oops: :oops: