Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone been crazy enough to rip out machine quilting stitches? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-been-crazy-enough-rip-out-machine-quilting-stitches-t79312.html)

lbosma 11-29-2010 04:39 PM

Not so funny story...participated in a guild Brown Bag Challenge. I contributed 5 fat quarters, two more could be added. The rules were construct something and return it and the remaining fabric. I got back a "finished" table runner so poorly quilted and bound I couldn't live with it. My small group friends agreed, so much so that they have passed it around and are ripping it out for me. I feel a bit ungrateful to the quilter who I know thought she was doing a good thing. I would have been thrilled to have receive her work as a top that I could "make my own." In the end that is what I will have. Don't you love quilting friends.

Jim 11-29-2010 04:42 PM

I'd rip it out in a heart beat. We just did that in fact, on an old quilt that someone else had quilted for us before we bought our quilting machine...it took a long time but glad we did it. My wife takes a great deal of time deciding what pattern to use that WON'T take away from the artistry of the quilt. Get yourself a cup of coffee and sit back relax and use a new sharp seam ripper...be careful not to poke through the top and as someone mentioned earlier ...take small increments and its easier to do if you unstich it between the layers of the top/batting/backing...you'll be glad you did...good luck

clair 11-29-2010 04:51 PM

My long arm quilter will "frog " if the quilting isn"t right, but if there was a a question in her mind as to if you would like it or not she should of contacted you long before she was done. Like one pass and if she does'nt like it she always call me to come and look. This has only happened once and I helped her take it out but I wouldn" of had to . Thats what I pay her for her skill and knowledge.

NanSew 11-29-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I can't figure out why you would have a beautiful hand applique quilt machine quilted. If it is heirloom quality, and it sounds like it is, have it hand quilted. Esp. if it is anything like your avatar.

Exactly what I was thinking. A hand appliqued quilt deserves to be hand quilted. Your work it beautiful.

gwanma 11-29-2010 05:09 PM

I agree with everybody that your beautiful top is really worth the effort. I just think it is so adorable and would love to see how you finish quilting it (after you take the old stitching off) Be patient, it's almost winter so you will have it done in plenty of time for next fall...don't hit me! Really though, the quilt is gorgeous!!

argranny 11-29-2010 06:31 PM

if you send your quilts off to have them done try this shop she has done custom quilting for over 30 years and there is another woman there that has 22 + years her prices are very good starts at 1 cent per square inch, but she has a 2 to 2 1/2 month turn around. she also has a computerised quilting mashine that does great quilting, I wish I could aford one of them. http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...g.479-451-8978

Clueless Quilter 11-29-2010 06:32 PM

Yes, I have ripped out machine quilting. It is tedious but if you don't you won't ever be happy with it.

In an attempt to be helpful, I would suggest taking the stitches out from the back. That way if you snag or poke any of the fabric by mistake it will be on the back and not the quilt top. I also find that the back thread(bobbin thread) pulls out a little easier.

jitkaau 11-29-2010 07:03 PM

I'm in the process now - and I will do it again if it doesn't suit what I want.

Gerbie 11-29-2010 07:37 PM

Yes, I guess you would say I'm crazy. I made my Dad a king sized log cabin quilt for B-day/Father's Day combined, his birthday fell on Father's Day that year. This was in 1991, just after my Mother passed away. I wanted to do something extra special for him. Well I was farily new at quilting and had taught myself. Not knowing then that I should have started in the center and worked out. Instead I started on one side and worked to the other, thus having a messed up and wrinkled quilt. I was machine stitching it, as I do all of mine. Well I ripped all of that mess out and started over. A friend told me after i began ripping it out to start in the center. I have always done that since. But it does take a while to do. I was only stitching in the ditch, but I stitched in all the ditches, around each block and in each seam of the log cabin. So I had plenty to remove. I check now, as I go along, for wrinkles and messes. I watched Sharon Schalmers video on basting a quilt. I plan to do that on my next one, instead of pinning like I normally do. The one I'm currently working on is a reversible quilt, and is done block by block, so I don't have to worry about it. GOOD LUCK and hope it all works out for you.

marjean36 11-29-2010 07:45 PM

Yes, I have ripped out a queen size longarm quilted quilt. My Mom, who is no longer with us, my daughter and I all worked on the quilt. I had it quilted by someone I thought would do a good job. It was sooo awful. My Mom hand quilted so many quilts we could not keep up with how many she did. Since she had passed away I wanted to get it finished for my daughter. It is now in three pieces waiting for me to quilt again, in sections. I watched my favorite NBA team and ripped away. Now I will make it first on my list to do. I have only quilted one queen size quilt, SID, and this needs to be stippled on the blocks. It is hand embroidery. I will practice and then get it done. I am determined.