Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hate My Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hate-my-quilt-t134344.html)

raedar63 06-30-2011 06:08 PM

Do a super fast pattern and be done!

sushi 06-30-2011 06:08 PM

I second everything that's been said.

I'm working on a quilt for my DD, and I just don't like the fabrics she chose. But I focus on her and how much she wants and looks forward to receiving this quilt. That helps a LOT!

QuiltMania 06-30-2011 06:11 PM

Been there. I made a golf quilt for my nephew and I detested every bit of it. But the up side is that I hated it so much I worked really quickly just to get it done and out of my sight. He loved it by the way.

Lv2sew2011 06-30-2011 06:13 PM

I'm working on a quilt for my mother, and having a problem what to do with it, so I just work on it for a couple hours and change to something else so I don't get to bored with it....she keeps asking me if I'm done yet, I told her no, and I had to start over cause I didn't like it at all before, its growing on me a little at a time...good luck!

ube quilting 06-30-2011 06:18 PM

Can you post a pic of the completed blocks. All your sisters may have some good ideas to get you through this?

What pattern are you using?

When I do a quilt for someone and it is not really my style, I try setting the pattern on point and use a material that I like for the setting blocks. A quilt will go together real fast when set on point!

Hope this may help a little. Keep us posted!
peace :D

Rustyquilter, That is a great philosophy. Works on more than just quilting!

Jill 06-30-2011 06:32 PM

I've made two quilts that I just didn't like at all--didn't like the fabrics selected by someone else and disliked the pattern they wanted me to use. I just kept working as quickly as I could and was SO when they were finished and out the door, never to be seen again by me!

Ramona Byrd 06-30-2011 06:56 PM

[quote=charity-crafter]I'd enlarge the pattern and make bigger blocks with wide boarders to get it completed faster.
----------------------------------------
You could do it that way, or the way I saw on a quilt a lot of years ago. Now I suspect that was why the maker did it that way. She, or possibly he, had made a square of blocks, then around all of them put bigger blocks that covered one and a half of the smaller ones, then another row all around of even larger ones. That made it pretty good sized, and was surprisingly nice looking.

I think it was a log cabin pattern.

GreatStarter 06-30-2011 06:57 PM

It's very hard for me to work on a quilt when I dislike the fabrics. However try to remember he will love it. If you must put it aside, do one small project you like. Then force yourself to work on the disliked quilt for as long as you can. Good luck.

Kat

ontheriver 06-30-2011 07:40 PM

Been there when my DIL wanted an orange quilt. Well orange is way at the bottom of my list when it comes to colors. But I just kept telling myself it was a gift for her and I finally got it finished. She hasn't seen it yet, I put it away as it is to be one of her Christmas gifts.

lalaland 06-30-2011 08:13 PM

I always do 2 projects at the same time because I get bored easy and, if I'm struggling with a project, I can switch to the other project for a break. I find I always finish both too!