Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   heavy starch and pointy points (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heavy-starch-pointy-points-t186422.html)

jarenie 04-19-2012 11:36 AM

I definately agree. Starch the Hell out of it and the points will be great.

purplefiend 04-19-2012 01:12 PM

The scented starches give me a bad headache and make me wheeze.

Kitsie 04-19-2012 01:37 PM

Sta-Flo works great and is cheap. I dilute it 1:1. Its like sewing paper together and certainly a must for small pieces like Dear Jane blocks!!

QandE2010 04-19-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 (Post 5149720)
Yeah for Team Starch!!!! We won another one over!

AMEN!! I am in love with heavy starch.

skowron5 04-19-2012 05:08 PM

I use Sta-Flo mixture 1/2 and 1/2. Leah Day sprays her fabric on one side turns it over and presses. She then sprays that side turns it over and presses that side. I think it works great that way

misseva 04-20-2012 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5155339)
I use Sta-Flo mixture 1/2 and 1/2. Leah Day sprays her fabric on one side turns it over and presses. She then sprays that side turns it over and presses that side. I think it works great that way

I learned this trick (about spraying one side/ironing other) a loooooong time ago when we had to iron everything. Of course I started out cooking my starch - then went to spray. Buying it in a bottle is much easier.

dixie_fried 04-20-2012 05:17 AM

I don't care for the smell of bottled starches. That's why I bought my first gallon of Sta-flo. I mix it 1:1 with water and add a few drops of lavender oil. Now I starch EVERYTHING!
Especially pre-washed fabrics, but even new off-the-bolt fabric gets starched! I'm a firm believer that the starch makes the fabric behave better for both cutting and piecing. Once my top is pieced....it gets another pressing with starch. To me, that makes quilting on my DSM easier, too.

stchenfool 04-20-2012 06:01 AM

Ya, just a wealth information here!

johans 04-21-2012 04:04 AM

I use ARGO powdered starch, cook up 1/4 c in the microwave for a load of fabric (water set on low/warm), in the rinse water. It makes a medium starch concentrate. [I]My recipe: start with 1/4c starch in 1c water and stir till dissolved. add 2c water and microwave for 5 minutes stirring (I use a whip) at every minute. starch should be translucent and bubbly. mix in another cup of cool water and mix thoroughly. Pour into warm rinse water, add prewashed fabric, agitate and spin out on low. Line or dryer dry till just slightly damp. Press while damp. Spritz with water to reactivate the starch whenever needed. A box of starch costs <$2, and is equal to 2 gallons or more of liquid starch, plus it's fresh each time. Many stores no longer carry it, so you might have to search. I buy mine at the Woodman's chain in Wisconsin and supply members of my guild with it @ $1.25 per box. I buy liquid starch for mixing 1/4, starch/water, for spray starch in a pump spray bottle at my ironing board. Warning: storing fabrics with starch will attract bugs in some areas of the country.

mississippiqltr 04-21-2012 05:39 AM

Love my starch!!!! Wouldn't quilt without it!