Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-cant-machine-sew-long-because-upper-back-discomfort-t174049.html)

Becky Crafts 01-01-2012 06:38 PM

We are full time RV'rs, so I don't have much space. I sit in my recliner with a TV tray holding my sewing machine. I have problems with my lumbar area so I have a special lumbar pillow in my recliner & with the frequent breaks I am slower than some folks, but like the turtle & the hare, slow & easy wins the race. I hope you find a way to be more comfortable when you sew as well. Perhaps one of those posture harness systems for sewers that holds your shoulders back & corrects your posture while you sew? Happy New Year & good luck!

jemma 01-01-2012 06:55 PM

good lighting a must----adjust the heights ----use a timer to signal get up and stretch time max 30 mins---and my very best trick------raise the back of your machine so it has a forward tip--i use rubber door stops--i raise mine 1/2 inch ---- nb mark the door stops so its eay to put them in evenly

Tartan 01-01-2012 06:58 PM

I found myself hunching over at my machine to sew bacause I could see better. I purchased the magnifying glasses that fit on my Bernina machine. Right now I have on the lowest one and I can see really well sitting back from my machine. What a relief and well worth the money spent (about $60) Find the reason your hunching over and fix it.

cathyvv 01-01-2012 07:04 PM

Perhaps you have a rotator cuff injury. If adjusting your workstaation doesn't help, then I suggest you see an orthopedic dr.

Feel better!

Peckish 01-01-2012 07:04 PM

I agree with the other posters who gave these tips - get some of those rubber wedge doorstops from your hardware store and stick them under the back corners of your machine. This will tilt the machine so it's easier for you to see without hunching over it. And try adjusting the height of your table and chair.

mudose8 01-01-2012 07:05 PM

Good lighting is a must! I got a bendable bright lite, don't know how I ever sewed without it!

EmbQuilt 01-01-2012 07:10 PM

I have read that some people here sew standing up. I can't do that, I've tried when my back hurts but it made it worse.

I get nerve regeneration shots in my back which have helped me sew.

Prism99 01-01-2012 07:11 PM

Try sewing standing up. That's how I machine quilt. I place my sewing machine on my cutting table and no more aching shoulders and back. (It's a good idea to wear good support shoes and stand on a cushioned surface.) I also created a styrofoam "table" surround for my machine from directions on Youtube, but that would not be necessary for piecing tasks.

It is the hunching over the machine that is likely causing your problems. Sewing standing up does not allow you to hunch over (at least in the same way).

Here is a link to a website that illustrates proper ergonomic positioning for sewing while sitting down:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sewi...iondesign.html

Edit: After reading the other posts, I agree that poor vision may be what is causing your hunching over. The magnifier and better lighting might solve your problem. I personally got no benefit from tilting my machine, so I don't do that anymore.

ging10ging 01-01-2012 07:16 PM

I have that problem also and I just got a new chair a few wks ao and it's helped some. I also got that table Joanne's had on sale and it's a good hgt so you don't have to bend your back. I think it's also the desk I'm using but I'll have to keep getting up. Their are certain chairs that will make the sciatic nerve hurt and I can't sit but a couple of min. I guess I need a pillow to sit on. Good luck wish I could help you more but I haven't figured out the problem yet myself. Sue

DonnaR 01-01-2012 08:42 PM

Make sure your chair is at the right height. It can really make a difference. I also have a mesh back support on my chair. I found that is I roll up a bath towel and wedge it in the upper portion of the support it pushes it forward and helps give better support. Hope this helps.