Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-cant-machine-sew-long-because-upper-back-discomfort-t174049.html)

irishrose 01-02-2012 08:44 PM

Two things - a wedge cushion that tilts your body forward to sit on and the weighted harness since your problem is in the upper back. It's in the Clotilde catalog and I think Nancy's Notions. I used a child's backpack with two pounds of weight because I had your problem when I started to FMQ. That was free, which works for me but I don't need it anymore. I must have built those muscles up.

BellaBoo 01-02-2012 09:24 PM

Try sitting on a backless chair. I took the back off my my sewing chair and lowered my sewing machine height. I tower over the machine, it's about waist high. My grandmother only used a three legged tall stool when she sewed and that is the way I learned to sit and sew. Sometimes I stand and sew. I found that if I put my non pedal foot on a short stool it really made a difference in comfort.

SEW 01-03-2012 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 4831921)
The key to comfort at any sitting task is to make sure you're at the correct height. I get the same kind of issue when I work on a laptop at a table rather than a desk. Make sure your forearms are at a 90 degree angle to your upper arms when you're sewing. Hopefully you have a chair with adjustable height so adjust it appropriately. Also make sure you are sitting directly in front of your machine. Occasionally I've seen sewing cabinets where the machine is off to the side a bit - they always looked like pain to me!

Pam

This is what I have found as well. If you are sitting at the correct height... you are then able to sit in your chair ( I keep a small pillow for lumbar support) properly, without leaning forward. This allows me to sew for longer periods.

Edie 01-03-2012 04:20 AM

If I feel it in my back and shoulders, I lay down on the floor on my back - stretch my legs and feet toward one wall and my arms up and back stretching to the other wall. Now we all know we are not going to touch the walls, but if you can imagine it while you are stretching, you are stretching your spinal column and it totally relaxes all the muscles in the shoulder. I do it all the time and it sure works for me. My husband gave me a new desk/sewing chair (swivel seat, rollers and it has the hydraulic lift to give you the exact right height. Works!!!!!!!

I hope you back and shoulders feel better. There is nothing worse feeling than a toothache in your back! Edie

miriam 01-03-2012 05:15 AM

I have found that I need a machine where I don't have to hunch down to look past the tension or the face of the machine to see the business end of the machine. The best I have is a Singer 403 for fancy work - A Singer 301 might make you pretty happy too. They are vintage so buy carefully. If you get one for cheap go over it or send it to a shop - it is worth it.

pjnesler 01-03-2012 05:50 AM

So many ideas to help with your problem, I sure hope one, or all help you as well as others!
*** I recall reading it helps to Tilt the machine towards you slightly. ***

LindaR 01-03-2012 05:55 AM

I goggled upper back exercises because it was so bad it took my breathe away....one I do daily is to face a wall, put right arm out straight and then turn whole body with arm flat on wall....really stretches those upper middle back muscles...do on left side too...best cure is whole body massage but thats another story LOL

sewnbug 01-03-2012 06:08 AM

I have an adjustable hieght chair and I get up and move around often.

HollyDav 01-03-2012 06:21 AM

See if there is a Senior's yoga class in your area. I teach yoga at 3 senior centers and get very positive feedback. It might help you.

AprilG 01-03-2012 06:34 AM

Call your local Office Supply stores to see if they have an "Ergo Expert". A lot of the stores have seminars for ergonomic office arrangements. Your problem doesn't seem to be in the lumbar region so the lumbar chair won't help an awful lot. Remember to adjust the chair to your height. Sit firm in the chair with your back fully against the back of the chair. Shoulders too! Bring the chair close to your work and keep reminding yourself to sit up straight and square the shoulders. I have this problem too. I have to keep reminding myself to "Sit like a lady" as my grandma always said. Feet flat on the floor (except for the foot pedal, of course). I hope that this helps. After a while the position becomes natural. Remember it takes 30 days to create a habit (sitting wrong) and 90 days of concerted effort to break that habit! Oh, yes, be sure that the lumbar support is adjusted right. Not too much curve. Your back probably is not used to it. Start small and work your way up. Keep sewing. Even if it is only for short periods at a time. You build houses one board at a time!