Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help i have too much fleece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-too-much-fleece-t90346.html)

Minnisewta 01-15-2011 02:28 PM

I sew 2 pieces together about the size of place mat and donate them to the local animal shelter to use for the cat cages.

G'ma Kay 01-15-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by judytudy
I make shawls with pockets for a book for children having Chemo.

These shawls are also nice for Nursing Home residents.

overdew 01-15-2011 02:57 PM

Look at this designer circular vest. I have made it from fleece for little girls and it is adorable. You can use the trim suggested, or none at all. It is quick and can be a no-sew project if you like.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/11045/circular-vest

Rettie V. Grama 01-15-2011 04:43 PM

Yes. cut them into large pieces, sew them together and bring where they are sewed together as well as the sides.

I've done this and they come out really nice. Mix colors, design and make a conversation throw from them.

quilting 01-15-2011 04:58 PM

Another idea - cut the fleece 12 inches long x the width of the fleece - you'll have a scarf. But wait - to finish it, sew a separating zipper down the front, starting at the "bottom" of the scarf. Under your coat, it will look like a vest ! Let me know if you do this.
Linda

canuckninepatch 01-15-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
If you have a Swiffer Sweeper, you can use fleece to make reusable covers for them.

It also makes super warm pillowcases.

I LOVE your idea of making reusable refills for a swiffer!! What a great idea!

Scrapquilt 01-15-2011 05:17 PM

Mittens.....really easy and kids love them.

blanketangel 01-15-2011 05:27 PM

If you have enough fabric you can make kid's pants. My sister has made these for all of her grandchildren and they love them so much they have asked for another pair so they have one when the other is being washed. Bless my sister she also made some for me and I tell you the kids are right they are the most comfortable and warm pants I own. Try it.

Halo 01-15-2011 05:31 PM

I make a lot of fleece rag quilts & everyone loves them. It leaves more of a fringe than rag, but are very warm. I Always use two or more colors in a double layer & alternate the colors on front & back. You can even use your strip scraps up doing this.

IT_Nana 01-15-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning

Originally Posted by raptureready
You can use them as a substitute for batting. Just sandwich them like you would a batting.

Square up a piece about 6" longer than you actually want for a blanket. Cut a 3" square from each corner. Fold each edge in 1 1/2" and seam 1 1/4" from the folded edge. Make 1" cuts ever 1/2" all the way around your blanket. With your fingers or a large crochet hook start with one loop and pull the next one through it. Do this all the way around the blanket until you come to the last loop. Cut it through the middle or on either side, loop it through your first loop then hand stitch it back together. This will give you a fleece blanket with a beautiful "braided" looking edge. Kids seem to love them like this. You can do the same with smaller left over squares. When the stitching is done and the loops are cut, put two together and crochet one loop from one side with a loop from the other piece until you reach the fourth side. Put a pillow form in and finish the last side. Now you have a matching blanket and small pillow---absolutely wonderful for traveling. I almost forgot, when stitching down the edges use a bit of a zigzag or other stretchable stitch.

Can you do a pictorial tute on this technique? I think I get it and see many possibilities for the technique but pictures would be wonderful!

I'd like to see a pictorial on this, as well. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm more of a visual learner!