Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I saw a Singer 15-91 Today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-saw-singer-15-91-today-t154767.html)

SunlitenSmiles 09-22-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by harrishs
If it makes you feel any better, I have collected 20 vintage machines since I got my first FW------7 are in cabinets so now I only look for portables. All of them work and I use them. Needless to say, they are the decoration in my condo! The funny part is, my family seems to understand. My grandaughter loves the FW's and would like to have them and my DSIL loves the larger models.....

wow...you could have friends over for a sew in and they would not have to drag out their machines.....would be great for a day of doing charity quilts.....speaking of which i have to sew now...wish i knew how to post photos...have a great photo of our Guilds recently delivered quilts in the neo-natal unit of a local hospital

SunlitenSmiles 09-22-2011 09:50 AM

oops back .... forgot my hint for DH....you could tell him it is for him to learn to quilt / sew .... and tell him you will get him a brand new seam ripper..LOL..pardon my silly sense of humor

purplefiend 09-22-2011 09:50 AM

If you do free motion quilting, the 15-91 is fabulous for that. I have a 15-90 and is my favorite machine for machine quilting and making pot holders. I make them using 5 layers of cotton batting+double fold binding, the 15-90 sews them without a skipped stitch(#16/100 denim needle).

Ellen 09-22-2011 09:51 AM

SunlitenSmiles, when you used the zig-zagger, did you lower the feeddogs? I can see how that can tear up a project.

wordpaintervs 09-22-2011 10:09 AM

congratulations. If I lived in your area and had $50, I'd be in line behind you to buy it, in case you changed your mind. Please post pictures if you get it.

SunlitenSmiles 09-22-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen
SunlitenSmiles, when you used the zig-zagger, did you lower the feeddogs? I can see how that can tear up a project.

OMG............it has been years, oh no, no :oops: did not....oh and i blamed the zig zag attachment all this time.....going to dig it out of the very back of the bottom of the hutch right now and read the directions :oops:

purplefiend 09-22-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen

I've never used the zig-zag attachment before. How would it work if you lowered/covered the feed dogs? Doesn't the fabric need to advance for it to work properly?

Janis 09-22-2011 10:45 AM

I didn't get the machine! I took along thread, needles, a scrap of fabric and scissors so I could try it out. I took out the RUSTED needle, and put mine in. I then put the bobbin that already had thread in the machine and threaded it. The disks of the upper tension are RUSTED so it didn't work that great, and I just ran it by hand as at a flea market, the plugs for electricity were far off. Then I noticed that the end where the bobbin goes on the winder is RUSTED too, and it needed a new rubber on the wheel of it. If those two things are rusted, what else that I can't see are too? The metal plates on the machine looked like they had brush strokes in them, and then feeling the machine head itself, I realized that when 'they' 'poly coated' the cabinet, they did the same to the machine!!!
The best things of the whole set are the attachments, which are a zigzag attachment (feed dogs on the 99 and FW don't go down, so it wouldn't work on either of them) the instruction book, and the small black walking foot. I have a little one I bought for my FW, and 2 for my Sears/Janome that are low shank and will fit on all of my machines. If I did go back and get anything, it would be the attachments, book, and the stool. Would it be worth it to just get them and leave the machine and cabinet? Remember, the cabinet has been poly refinished and replacement handles, so no antique value there.
On the other hand, I did try out the 1931 66, by hand and not with the power, and it is in better shape. It also had a larger harp than the 15-91, which surprised me. It is just the machine alone with it's cabinet. I have a feeling that it's sat there for a while, as they'd reduced the price of it to $32.50. I might watch it, as it's the big sister, but younger to my 99.

scrappylady 09-22-2011 11:01 AM

That seems a fair price to me. I had my mothers machine for years and it was a work horse but I was running out of room, so I donated mine to a group home. You will enjoy it I'm sure.

scrappylady 09-22-2011 11:03 AM

They polyed the machine,???????????????????? WOW