Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Need advice on how to fix a quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-need-advice-how-fix-quilt-top-t207134.html)

cmsnurse 11-30-2012 06:37 AM

I would take out the two bottom row middle blocks and trade them with the right sided corner blocks. then the four corners would be the same and all the others would be the same. Saves you from making new blocks or totally tearing the blocks apart for reinsertion. Good luck.

Friday1961 11-30-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5685543)
First, I don't think the blocks resemble swastikas. They're missing that outer leg on all four sides. To me, it just looks like some kind of spinning block.

Second, it's too bad that anytime one looks at such a symbol, all we see is the negative connotation of Hitler. Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

I hope your mom likes it as is. As others have stated, I'm not sure how you could change it without completely remaking the entire quilt.

My thoughts, too. I unwittingly did something similar on the backing of a quilt (H blocks) but I didn't change it. I think we shouldn't let a symbol usurped by a monster continue to rule our lives. But I understand that your mileage may be different. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kaat 11-30-2012 07:32 AM

Since you said you haven't done a lot of quilts -- find help fixing it. It could get frustrating and the help of an experienced quilter will keep you sane. My local quilt shop offers private "lessons." I have a quilt that I would have thrown out the window by now without the pro help.

My time 11-30-2012 08:55 AM

I would never have noticed the swastikas if you had not pointed them out. It sounds as though your mother hasn't either. Keep calm and carry on. This is a very pretty quilt.

mannem 11-30-2012 01:01 PM

The quilt is for her husband??? What a way to fish for compliments. Never thought of that. lol

SonjaG 12-01-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mannem (Post 5690025)
The quilt is for her husband??? What a way to fish for compliments. Never thought of that. lol

I wasn't fishing for compliments. I am new to quilting and to this board. I truly had a concern that I was hoping other more experienced quilters could help me resolve. Thanks for the warm welcome.

kakels 12-01-2012 08:34 AM

I have tried to fix quilts and have ended up with a mess. I would totally take it apart or try to applique something in the center. That should break up the offensive areas and would save a ton of work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mannem 12-01-2012 09:41 AM

For the life if me, I don't understand the fuss. The intended recipient likes the nice quilt, the 'unintentional' pattern might suggests a plus sign, but not a completed swastika sign. Give it a rest. For your next quilt, I suggest using a pattern other than rail fence. That should alleviate any further imagined trouble in your family. Geez.... As far as the 'warm welcome': all the other comments were surely positive. You need a reality check. It was not that you asked for help. I totally understand that, but to make a mountain out of a mole hill???

SonjaG 12-01-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mannem (Post 5691638)
For the life if me, I don't understand the fuss. The intended recipient likes the nice quilt, the 'unintentional' pattern might suggests a plus sign, but not a completed swastika sign. Give it a rest. For your next quilt, I suggest using a pattern other than rail fence. That should alleviate any further imagined trouble in your family. Geez.... As far as the 'warm welcome': all the other comments were surely positive. You need a reality check. It was not that you asked for help. I totally understand that, but to make a mountain out of a mole hill???

I didn't realize I was making "a mountain out of a mole hill" as you suggest. I thought I was just seeking advice from more experienced quilters, and as a result some friendly and knowledgeable quilters provided not only some very useful advice, but also their experience with similar situations. And, yes, I am sensitive to my mother's feelings, even if the quilt is for my husband. If I have improperly used this forum, then my apologies; and maybe someone can clarify what is an acceptable discussion thread so in the future I'm no longer told to "Give it a rest."

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-01-2012 12:17 PM

Oh my, I don't think they look like "that symbol" at all. I wouldn't have ever noticed had you not pointed it out - actually for your third quilt I think it's GREAT!!! :)