Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How accurately do you trim up blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-accurately-do-you-trim-up-blocks-t167163.html)

deemail 11-08-2011 11:32 PM

First, I make all my HSTs necessary, all cut a fraction larger than they need to be...then i press and trim all of them. Then I set all pcs tog, including the HSTs, now I square up all the blocks, and lastly, i measure the quilt in 3 places, use the middle measurement to go by for borders and then square that up...it is totally worth it, and if you have ever tried to quilt a quilt with ripples and bumps and gathers everywhere, you will know why.

quiltsRfun 11-08-2011 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S (Post 4654841)
I recently made a set of 13" blocks and only trimmed those that were off by 1/8" or more. It saved a lot of time to not trim the ones that were only off a few threads but I don't know if it will lead to too much inaccuracy in the finished top, which is not assembled yet. My previous top had 3.5" blocks and those I trimmed every block and the top came out square/even.

Try to trim as accurately as possible. That being said, it will make a bigger difference if you're not as accurate on 3.5" blocks than it will with 13" blocks. Bigger blocks, fewer seams. A few threads off on many seams across the quilt adds up.

CarrieC 11-09-2011 03:21 AM

I agree with most of you - I trim as close as I can, every block. I've made a large quilt out of 6" blocks, didn't trim them all and I paid for it. I think I used up one whole seam ripper on that quilt alone! The little bits do add up.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 11-09-2011 03:38 AM

I trim them to size. I've never had a quilt that turned out uneven.

teddysmom 11-09-2011 03:55 AM

I try to be as accurate as I can. I found it can make a big difference when sewing squares together. I put too much work into my hand piecing to NOT do all I can to make sure everything lines up right.

marthe brault-hunt 11-09-2011 05:32 AM

I'll take accuracy over saving time

tropit 11-09-2011 05:43 AM

I like to press, starch and trim to size. It makes the rest go so easily and I don't have to "nip 'n tuck" later on. I love patterns that account for shrinkage and trimming down to final block size. It's so considerate of them to think of those things.

~ Cindy

Rose Marie 11-09-2011 06:24 AM

Most blocks are made up of small blocks so trimming as you go makes a big difference. Thats what I like about Quilt in a Day patterns they tell you what size to trim each section of a block.
I never trim off points even if the block is not right, better to take a chance than cut off points.

Deb watkins 11-09-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam (Post 4655126)
I try to trim as exact to the size it is supposed to be as I can. It really, really, makes a difference in the finished quilt.

I agree with this. It is especially critical when you are participating in a block swap.

mucky 11-09-2011 06:28 AM

The only things I trim are half square triangles. I can never get them the perfect size unless I trim.