Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How critical are you of your own work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-critical-you-your-own-work-t24193.html)

Lori Sunshine 08-14-2009 04:45 PM

So far, I have not been too picky with my quilts. I am still learning, after 10 years!!, and am not making heirloom or show quilts. Most of my quilts have been gifts for the kids or grand-kids, and I don't even want to see what they have done with them!! Dogs and cats and kids are not gentle! And when I made "our" quilt, my sewing machine was acting up and I just thought it was the design trying to make me crazy. I am trying to make my points better, but maybe that is just not my thing! I don't rip out when quilting unless it is a big booboo. And so far, everybody has been happy with the results, so I guess I am doing okay!

dunster 08-14-2009 04:50 PM

I want the quilt to be beautiful. BUT - perfection is not required for something to be beautiful.

Ninnie 08-14-2009 04:53 PM

I am a self critic, and am trying to learn to let the little things go.
It's the hand quilting that I am the most critical of, taking out stitches if they are too large or to small or to tight. I think I am more forgiving than I used to be though. 99% of the people who see our quilts wouldn't recognize a mistake any way! :D :D So, yes i do make mistakes, and still waiting on that perfect top!

bebe 08-14-2009 05:06 PM

I have to remember that not everything is perfect. A friend of mine says if you cannot see while riding on a galloping horse going by it then it is okay. Amish always make a mistake in their quilts on purpose because they believe only God is perfect. Yes we are critical . I do take it apart if it is crucial to the pattern. Just remember some blocks only need a scant 1/4 inch. I make some of my pieces an 1/8 inch bigger and trim down as I go along if necessary :D

Just enjoy your new quilt and remember every time we make one we only get better and we are practicing for the future blocks that can be harder!!!!!

sewnsewer2 08-14-2009 05:18 PM

If I'm getting paid to make it then YES, it has to be perfect. Otherwise If I'm off a smidge, as long as it isn't crooked, I'll let it go.

kluedesigns 08-14-2009 05:21 PM

ditto

if i'm getting paid for it yes.

i have ripped apart quilts over 1/8 of inch. i've also scrapped an entire project and made another because i didn't like the way the fabric was behaving.

renee765 08-14-2009 05:21 PM

I've only done five quilting projects so far, and my goal has been to make each quilt better than the last. As long as I can see improvement in my quilting skills with each quilt, I'm pretty satisfied. So far.

Renee

blahel 08-14-2009 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I want the quilt to be beautiful. BUT - perfection is not required for something to be beautiful.

so just so i understand this right....seeing as I am not perfect :lol: I must be beautiful!! :lol: :lol:

littlehud 08-14-2009 06:04 PM

I have improved alot in the last two years, but I am far from perfect. As long as it is not a big mistake I can live with it.

Scissor Queen 08-14-2009 06:10 PM

Done is better than perfect. Quilting is something I do for fun and relaxation. I refuse to torture myself because something is off a little bit. People that don't quilt will never notice if a point or two are cut off or don't match up perfectly plus that's the kind of thing that gives a quilt personality.

Don't obsess, just sew!!

I've even left wrong side out fabric in scrappy log cabin blocks. After the quilts were done *I* coudn't even find it!!!