Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I keep my fabric from getting stuck? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-keep-my-fabric-getting-stuck-t136124.html)

nativetexan 07-09-2011 12:09 PM

you use leaders and enders. just scraps of fabrics put under the needle first to lead off. then when reaching the end of your chain piecing, you ad an "ender" for the next time you want to start another chain.
and yes a single hole plate helps but i don't have one.

Lindsey 07-09-2011 12:33 PM

be sure you are using a new needle too.

madamekelly 07-09-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
do you have a throat plate with a single needle hole. If so change to that if not using now

You can find them online. The maker will sell parts , but sometimes higher/lower else where.

blueheavenfla 07-09-2011 03:56 PM

In addition to all of the other good advice you have received consider this: if a single needle hole plate is not available or too pricey, just put a couple layers of Scotch Tape over the zig zag opening (not the feed dogs!) and pierce it just once with an unthreaded needle then sew away...no problems anymore. That way you can continue sewing those pieces that you have cut already and then use the other method many others have suggested. Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

emlee51 07-09-2011 04:00 PM

Sometimes when I chain sew and don't lift the foot it pushes the fabric off a bit at the start, and I end up with my squares not matching at the end. I then reduce the pressure and that seems to help. Some fabrics are lighter than others and the pressure is too heavy on them and they seem to drag for me. I also find that starching a bit helps.

patdesign 07-09-2011 04:10 PM

Use the straight stitch throat plate and a new needle and I think your problems will go away. I just feed the next piece under the foot about 1 stitch away from the last piece. Then put your seam ripper in a hole of a spool and cut down between the pieces when ready to separate. If your seam ripper wont fit get one of the cheapies to leave in the spool. Great timesaver!:)

madamekelly 07-09-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
In addition to all of the other good advice you have received consider this: if a single needle hole plate is not available or too pricey, just put a couple layers of Scotch Tape over the zig zag opening (not the feed dogs!) and pierce it just once with an unthreaded needle then sew away...no problems anymore. That way you can continue sewing those pieces that you have cut already and then use the other method many others have suggested. Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

Brilliant!

postal packin' mama 07-10-2011 10:41 AM

Check out Quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter's "leaders & enders" uses in quilts. Very worth the time to view.

gmcsewer 07-10-2011 11:17 AM

I have found that if I lay the triangle ahead about 2 stitches, back stitch 2 stitches and then forward that it will not bunch up. I am making a fractured jewel quilt that has lots of hst and it seems to be working for me.

JeanieG 07-10-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Check out Quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter's "leaders & enders" uses in quilts. Very worth the time to view.

Yes, I love her site. Cut scraps into 2" squares (or other sizes) and sew a dark and light together as leaders & enders.