Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I use this template to FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-use-template-fmq-t144700.html)

spinnergs 08-12-2011 03:56 PM

I would lay several layers of freezer paper (stapled together) over the template and trace the lines, then cut out. Use the center section as the template. Iron the freezer paper template on the quilt and FMQ around it. You can peel it off and use it again and again.

Kas 08-12-2011 04:02 PM

That woman was an idiot! The bridges have to stay. I use a blue washable marker with never a bad result. I will mark a red snippet of fabric or sometimes all of the fabrics (just a test snip) with the marker before I start piecing the quilt. After I am done piecing and am ready to mark, I will soak my test snips in COLD water. If all the marks come out, I know it is safe to use on the quilt. I always wash my quilts when I am done, so first I put the quilt in my washer and fill it with COLD water, agitate a bit, then spin. Now you can wash with detergent. If you just wash with detergent first without rinsing with cold water, you might set the marks.

pnptrapp 08-12-2011 04:07 PM

You shouldn't need to cut out those lines, just use one of the methods mentioned above and then you just sew across the "gap" in the line! I'm glad your husband told you not to cut them out! That would've been frustrating to spend money on the stencil and follow directions just to find out that ruined the stencil!

pnptrapp 08-12-2011 04:07 PM

Sorr double post

QM 08-12-2011 04:09 PM

I think what she meant was that if you cut it out, you can then sew around the OUTSIDE of the pattern. I have done this with my own patterns, but I prefer to mark it on freezer paper, cut THAT out and iron it in place. You won't be unhappy if you nick the freezer paper with your needle, your pattern is still intact,

wolfkitty 08-12-2011 05:05 PM

Cutting the stencil is insane! As someone else said, do not take any more quilting advice from her. Follow the advice previously given about using removable markers to mark the fabric, test it out on some scraps from your quilt and go from there.

Summer Spice 08-12-2011 07:08 PM

QM , I like this idea, thanks.

maryb44662 08-12-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

This is what I do too. Much easier than messing with a template. That is how I do my sashes and borders. Just cut a strip the width of your sashing/borders, trace the quilting design, pin to the quilt and FMQ. Works well.

carolaug 08-13-2011 03:27 AM

You have all been so helpful! Thank-you!!

Steady Stiching 08-13-2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

does it leave bits of paper behind or tear clean? I'm struggling with marking my quits.

I had residual permanent blue marks left over from a quilt that took me months to quilt. First quilt and marked the entire quilt at once.....lesson learned, mark as you go, remove.

Your DH is right...if you remove those connectors you will have an empty hole.