Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you count stitches when handquilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-count-stitches-when-handquilting-t155230.html)

Holice 09-23-2011 01:01 PM

probably the best answer to RenaB is......
ego

Sorry for the double post. I leaned on the computer.

However, we do admire the hand quilted with the finest and smallest stitches. On the other hand, it is the quality of the stitch that judges often look at and not the quantity.
A larger but even stitch, penetrating into the back in an even way (not the same size) might overshadow the fine close stitches that don't have quality on the back.

quiltsRfun 09-23-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
it is the quality of the stitch that judges often look at and not the quantity.
A larger but even stitch, penetrating into the back in an even way (not the same size) might overshadow the fine close stitches that don't have quality on the back.

I'm so glad to hear that. I've been doing some hand quilting recently and my stitches are anything but small. I decided not to worry about size and just try to make them even. These are quilt as you go blocks. Hopefully by the last block I'll have it mastered.

Dena789 09-23-2011 01:56 PM

I found that mine were getting better the more I worked on my first project. I think its a matter of practice but SPI can also be affected by the type of fabric, type of batting, needles used etc. I am definately not a master!

Barb44 09-23-2011 03:18 PM

One stitch is going down through the layers to the back and coming back up. So you would only count the stitches you see on the top. The thread showing on the back is part of the stitch showing on the top. Does that make sense?

I've been handquilting for years and have never worried about stitches per inch.

Quiltmaniac2010 09-23-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun

I'm so glad to hear that. I've been doing some hand quilting recently and my stitches are anything but small. I decided not to worry about size and just try to make them even. These are quilt as you go blocks. Hopefully by the last block I'll have it mastered.

My Grandmother taught me that what you are doing is the right way, not worrying about size, just making them even. The smaller stitches will come once you master the even stitches.

Jan in VA 09-23-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RenaB
Never knew we should count. May I ask under which circumstances you would count?

LOL! What a great remark! I guess we count when someone asks. ;-) ;-)

Jan in VA

Old hen 09-23-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010

I like this answer best of all. Thanks everyone!
My Grandmother taught me that what you are doing is the right way, not worrying about size, just making them even. The smaller stitches will come once you master the even stitches.

Old hen 09-23-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Old hen

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010

I like this answer best of all. Thanks, everyone!

Jeanniejo 09-23-2011 05:16 PM

I don't count. I know I have small stitches and I like the way they look numbers don't matter to me.

applique 09-24-2011 04:34 AM

I'm too lazy to go find a quilt and count my stitches. When I first started I knew nothing about quilting and only a little about weaving. I ended up counting the threads in the fabric to make even stitches. Four threads of the material per stitch. Didn't know any better and turned out OK. Nice even stitches. Whatever worked.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by RenaB
Never knew we should count. May I ask under which circumstances you would count?

LOL! What a great remark! I guess we count when someone asks. ;-) ;-)

Jan in VA