Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you make your quilting designs on quilts???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-your-quilting-designs-quilts-t207547.html)

sewingsuz 12-03-2012 05:08 PM

I have read before that the Glad Press and Seal is one way to put the dsign on quilt. I just ordered the pounce also and waiting for my box cyber Monday to arrive. I am in the same situation as you #1 piecemaker. I hope I can learn FMQ soon also. Good Luck to you and let us see your results, please.

DogHouseMom 12-03-2012 05:28 PM

I like the Golden thread paper and what I do is to spray the back of the paper with 505 - let it dry to a tack - then stick it to the quilt top. It stays put but will bend and curve with the quilt. Yes the top can be a little tacky when you pull the paper off but not too bad (which is why I spray the paper not the quilt!), and it does come off in the wash.

gail-r 12-03-2012 05:53 PM

I use frixion pens on light fabric, love them because you can make very small lines, they come right off with heat. I just use my steam iron and steam only and press. Use bounce pad on dark fabrics or chalk pens. Pens seem to rub off easily.

jitkaau 12-05-2012 04:03 AM

I either draw directly onto the quilt with a ceramic pencil or quilt without any markings. You get better with practice and it is less work and neater result.

Mkotch 12-05-2012 04:55 AM

I like Borders by the Roll (or something like that), available from Keepsake. They are pre-printed and tear away easily. The same company makes Stipples by the Roll.

#1piecemaker 12-05-2012 05:08 AM

Thanks for all the good advice and information. I'm going shopping!!

JNCT14 12-05-2012 06:39 AM

To me the worst part of FMQ is drawing the design on the quilt. Not only that I tried every market under the sun with mixed results. So my methods are these: I use the chalk pencils from JoAnns, making sure to keep the points sharp. I make sure that I have 2 colors on hand - one for light fabrics and one for dark. Then I mark the design in sections on my quilt as I go - working on one section at a time, about 18" x 18" sections. For the design, I either free draw it (feathers, hearts, flowers) or if the design is a little more complex, I make a template out of a cardboard cereal box. I don't worry too much about being completely exact because you really don't see the inaccuracies when the quilt is done. This way I do not stress about marking the entire quilt at once and the FMQ is mangeable on my midarm machine.

rosiewell 12-05-2012 07:39 AM

I use stencils (the plastic ones) I have an extensive collection as I used to handquilt everything, I use a white quilting pencil for dark fabric and a yellow one for light. Works really well and by the time I am done the marking have just about disappeared

maryb44662 12-05-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 5695256)
I have been doing a lot of research on how to make quilting designs on quilts. My free motion leaves a lot to be desired. So, I need to find an alternative method to use while I Hone my skills. I have seen many different techniques for transferring the pattern on the top. Which one you do use? And, what kind? I tried using tissue paper (not a pretty experience) And, I bought the POUNCE. )(haven't tried it yet) Anuy suggestions???

I use waxed paper to draw my designs onto then pin to area that I want to free motion following the lines. Works fine for me especially on the borders.

happyquiltmom 12-05-2012 02:20 PM

I use the mechanical ceramic pencils. We sell Sewline at the shop. They're interchangeable...I own one pencil and refills of all the other colors.