Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you respond to ...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-respond-t24092.html)

jdavis 08-13-2009 06:53 AM

I just ask them, if they have $500. If they say no, which they always do, I say there's your answer. If they ever say yes, I'll take the $500 and make them a quilt.
I love it! Can't wait to try that one on somebody!

Loose Threads 08-13-2009 06:56 AM

[quote=saravincent]

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

But what's wrong with "I don't think you can afford me!"

Perfect answer! Say it with a smile and nobody will be offended. :wink:

Maribeth 08-13-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I just ask them, if they have $500. If they say no, which they always do, I say there's your answer. If they ever say yes, I'll take the $500 and make them a quilt.

Now I won't be speechless, Thanks :lol:

Maride 08-13-2009 07:30 AM

I hand them my business card, (which I got free from vistaprint.com) and aks them to see my web site. I tell them that if they find something they like they can buy it from me or if they don't they can always order something from me. That tells them that I don't give away quilts. I have given some away, but always to people who never asked for one.

Maria

grammatjr 08-13-2009 07:33 AM

Wow! Some great answers to this problem. I have had people ask that too, and before I began to quilt, I had no idea how quickly the cost of supplies added up, or how very time intensive even the simplest looking quilt can be. Now that I understand that, I feel free to tell people I am too busy, and they probably wouldn't want to pay the cost. I also offer to teach them to quilt.

Skeat 08-13-2009 07:55 AM

Let me make sure I get the question...you are feeling like you should make a quilt for someone just because they asked??If that is correct, I would tell that person exactly this...'sure! I'd be glad to make a quilt for you! I make them for commission all the time, call me when you want me to give you the price break downs'!:)That should cure it! If not....learn the big 'no'....and, guilt is only self inflicted:)LOL Skeat

Cathy M 08-13-2009 08:16 AM

I just tell them to bite. nuff said.

RedGarnet222 08-13-2009 08:29 AM

I had a friend of my sister visiting a week ago. We were looking at some of my projects that are ready to be quilted. She asked for a child's quilt top that I had on the pile. I tried to hand it to her unfinished and she said, Oh no, please finish it first! I was fllabbergasted. This woman is a quilter! She said I will pay you for it.

OK ... I have never sold a quilt in my life. What do you charge for such a quilt?? I have hours in it already. It is an appliqued animal baby blanket. What do you do, charge by the hour and materials used?

Tippy 08-13-2009 08:35 AM

I've sold a few quilts.. the latest one being to a friend at work.. she saw the top and said that's mine..name your price. (it's a lap quilt) I said $250. and she said.. I thought it would be more. and I told her it was because she is a friend she's getting a break. Otherwise I have no problem just saying NO..
Had someone want me to put a new zipper in her wedding dress the other day.. long story, but her MIL to be broke the zipper. I said.. yes I sew clothes but only for myself, and NO I won't replace the zipper.. that's a pain in the a** and I no longer subject myself to that torture. Blunt yes.. but also honest. I suggested she find a professional seamstress and send MIL to be the bill.

tlrnhi 08-13-2009 08:52 AM

I always ask them....how much money do you have?
When they say NONE, I tell them that is how much time I have to make them a quilt. :)