Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you set ink printed on an inkjet printer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-set-ink-printed-inkjet-printer-t217453.html)

AliKat 03-27-2013 08:57 AM

First of all do not use the 'Best Printing' on the machine so you will not have too much ink. Many people still teach using the Best set, but it is usually better if you don't.

After printing let the ink dry, separate the freezer paper from the material, then iron to set the ink using something to protect your ironing board. Newspaper can do this. You can iron it a second time if you feel like it. Leave it alone for a while then it is ready to use.

Otherwise ... you can use a soda ash preparation that you make yourself. Directions are available on various art sites on the web.

meant2be 03-27-2013 01:30 PM

Thank you all so very much for the good suggestions!!!

quiltstringz 03-27-2013 02:46 PM

If you are looking for information regarding printing on fabric - look at Caryl Bryer Fallerts website. I think it is called the Bryerpatch or something close. If you google her you will find it.

TeresaPendino 12-08-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5957215)
Cheap printers are usually ink jet. I've used salt, white vinegar and cold water to set iron on transfers. Bubble jet set does work. I have some Tshirts that are really old that had an iron on and the iron on is not faded. I used an old Canon inkjet.

It might be that you have to pretreat the fabric first. The premade sheets have probably been treated.

I need to set a quilt label... how much salt and vinegar do you recommend per how much water? TIA

cashs_mom 12-08-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by janedee (Post 5957004)
I have used Bubble Jet works really well and not too expensive - despite the name is for ink jet printing

Ink jet printers were originally called "Bubble jets" that's where the name comes from. They are the same thing.

Yes, I'm showing my age lol

themadpatter 12-08-2017 07:56 PM

My last copier was a canon and their photo ink is waterproof. It might be good to start with that, if you are the plan ahead type. Ok, let's all have a good laugh now, lol. My current one is an Epson, and this ink isn't waterproof. I'm not sure if heat setting it would make it so, as Captain Picard would say.

bkay 12-09-2017 06:17 AM

I've used June Taylor photo/fabric sheets in my HP printer, which I know is not water proof. I'm not sure if it faded/ran or not, since I didn't wash the quilt. It was just a "who made it" label, so I didn't think it mattered.

Fair warning to anyone who wants to use it, it's like sewing through starched canvas. You can hardly get your needle through it. I'll not use it again unless it's going to be machine sewn.

bkay

cashs_mom 12-09-2017 08:33 AM

I've heat set the ink from an HP printer on a quilt label and it did well.

Evie 12-09-2017 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5957515)
After I have printed the label iron it with a Dry iron then let it set for maybe a day, ironing it a couple more times..
Dry. Then when I spritz it with water it doesn't bleed and I do that a couple of times. By doing this I don't have a running problem.

This works for me also.

DJ 12-10-2017 08:20 AM

Do you need to use the Bubble Jet Set Rinse?