Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store fabric strips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-fabric-strips-t145028.html)

hobo2000 08-14-2011 05:41 AM

I pick up flat 3" plastic food containers at the dollar tree and I can stor 4 nice fat rolls in each and they stack mine are 12" square. For$1.00 it's the best storage I can find and they look good all stacked up.

RUSewing 08-14-2011 05:41 AM

I bouught a rickety, old quilt rack at a garage sale and store my strips by color, draped over the horizontal rods. To keep them from slipping off, I use big plastic hair clips. Keeps them sorted and unwrinkled.

pocoellie 08-14-2011 06:19 AM

I sort by width, then I sort them by background color, stack them all neat in a pile, then kind of soft fold them, then put them in a 2 gallon baggie. I have the baggie labeled as to what size strips. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from the board.

alikat110 08-14-2011 08:23 AM

Roll them like a jelly roll

plainpat 08-14-2011 08:28 AM

Ditto......I store the rolls in plastic storage containers.

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I roll mine like the ones in the shops. Then I tie a string of yarn or scrap around the cricumference of it so it doesn't come undone.

NanaCsews2 08-14-2011 08:40 AM

When I am starting a quilt (or any project) I set up my wooden drying rack. Cut out FQ of each fabric being used. Separate them on the rack. Usually there are 4 or more FQ for each fabric so those are lain on top of each other. I know exactly what I have and have yet to do. When all done, then I cut into the strips, shapes, etc. When sewing strips together, I take them and hang them over a metal towel bar (cheap thin one from Home Depot) that is attached to the wall next to the machine. Finished strips, big blocks go back on the wooden rack until I need them again to finish. I never cut strips unless I am working on a project, and then they are always hanging on a rack and not laying on a table.

dunster 08-14-2011 08:42 AM

I only make 1" and 1.5" strips. I have clear plastic shoe boxes, and I separate by light/dark and by strip width - so 4 shoe boxes all together. The strips are folded loosely in the boxes so they don't get wrinkled. When the boxes start getting full I cut the strips into lengths for log cabin quilts, because that is usually what I make with my scraps.

Mariposa 08-14-2011 09:06 AM

I put mine in see-through plastic bins. :)

Barb44 08-14-2011 11:02 AM

If I remember correctly, Bonnie Hunter sorts hers by size and lights/darks into drawers. I just have 2 large totes full of all sizes scraps. I haven't sorted or cut them up yet - too many other things to do.

born2bfree67 08-15-2011 04:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like to collect mason jars, or just jars in general with nice lids. I use them to store binding, strips, 2"-5" squares and so on. I label them using 1" lettering for ease of reading when on a shelf. The glass jars makes it easy for me to see the color of the fabric. Hope this helps.