Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How dumb was that? (Hand quilting) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-dumb-hand-quilting-t168465.html)

Charleen DiSante 11-17-2011 07:21 AM

Yes! Good for you for trying.

cat2quilt 11-17-2011 08:25 AM

I don't use a hoop either and I found that this works much better for me. I have done pillows, wall hangings and a baby quilt this way and found that it works for me. Do you baste with thread or pins? When I hand quilt I use thread basting.

Shirls4sons 11-17-2011 08:32 AM

I also thought the fabric had to be drum tight! I have "fought" several quilts this way. Recently a friend clued me in to the fact it had to be loose (Thank you Gloria!!!). I also can't use a thimble, and my fingers are always sore (or bloody!). :)

Morag 11-17-2011 08:43 AM

When I learned to hand quilt 40 years ago I also had the tesion to tight. Now it is much looser and I usually can do 6 stitches to an inch.
I use liquid bandaid or my "Aunt Betsy" tool and depending on what I'm using that saves my finger under the quilt from being pricked. I use a thimble witha deep top so my needle does slip and my thumb can control lay on the thimble and control the needle...
I only do hand quilting but am now contemplating FMQ since I bough my Janome MC 6500...

susie-susie-susie 11-17-2011 08:49 AM

When I first tried hand quilting I thought the quilt needed to be very tight in the frame. Then I read that it should look like your cat was sleeping in the middle. Makes a lot of difference. My problem is rocking the needle, I can't seem to quilt toward me. I am more comfortable quilting side to side and without a thimble. The thimbles seem to fall off all the time no matter how small they are!
Sue

sarahrachel 11-17-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by PensyDutch (Post 4686042)
My problem is that I can't use a thimble. I need to feel the needle. I get callouses on my fingers. Wish I could use a thimble.

I had to teach myself to use one and I can't put it on my middle finger like I see everyone else doing, I put it on my pointer finger. I hated it at first but the little indentations helped me to guide the needle better. But what helped the most is that I found one that fit perfectly. I almost had a heart attack the other day when I thought I lost it!

redeagle 11-17-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN (Post 4686032)
I'm another "no hoop-er". I just can't get comfortable using a hoop.

me too. need lots of "give."

JNCT14 11-17-2011 09:28 AM

Glad i am not the only one with hand quilting problems! I cannot rock the needle, it just KILLS my wrist. I found hoops to be too restraining so gave up that idea. Now I just use a running backstitch which gives a nice hand quilted effect wihtout hurting my wrists or nails.

As far as fingers go, i saw something in Michael's yesterday - they are adhesive pads that you stick onto the pad of your finger. I will have to try those....

teddysmom 11-17-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by redeagle (Post 4690021)
me too. need lots of "give."

Me, too. Seem to do better without hoop or frame. Just make sure I sandwich with no puckers .

San Diego Quilter 11-17-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by PensyDutch (Post 4686042)
My problem is that I can't use a thimble. I need to feel the needle. I get callouses on my fingers. Wish I could use a thimble.

Me too!!! I started using the little patches of "second skin" (type of medical tape) - that way, I can feel the needle, but somewhat eliminate the deep pokes. Has anyone else found an alternative to the traditional or leather thimble?

Linda