Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to fold fabric so it looks uniform in my stash.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-fold-fabric-so-looks-uniform-my-stash-t102992.html)

deplaylady 02-26-2011 03:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I recently reorganized all my fabric in my newly redone sewing room by folding the fabrics around boards and folding like the ladies described here. (Some around boards, some are just folded.) I am so happy I did - I bought a lovely cutting table with drawers and had hoped to use it to store fabric as well as cut it, but and found that I couldn't see my fabric when it was all stacked up. By folding I got twice as much in a drawer - and I can see everything! It's amazing the amount of fat quarters (280) and yardage I have in that table! I have other fabric drawers also, but most of the cottons live here. Thank you all for your ideas!

The left side - the top drawer holds rulers, the bottom is empty, waiting for fabric!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129095[/ATTACH]

Right side - rotary cutters and tools, fat quarters and warm and natural.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129096[/ATTACH]

where the flannels, bolts, scraps and specials live
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129664[/ATTACH]

Martha Hamman 02-26-2011 03:55 PM

this is a good way to fold

pollyjvan9 02-26-2011 04:12 PM

brosier, I love your sewing area and stash. I particulary like the way you have your threads right where you can see them. I have thread in 5 or 6 places have to hunt for what I need. Good work!

pollyjvan9 02-26-2011 04:13 PM

brosier, I love your sewing area and stash. I particularly like the way you have your threads right where you can see them. I have thread in 5 or 6 places have to hunt for what I need. Good work!

BettyGee 02-26-2011 04:50 PM

I use the fabric coroplast boards, almost done putting my stash on them. Love the organization and I can find whatever I'm looking for in a little time.

SewExtremeSeams 02-26-2011 05:16 PM

Thank you for all of the helpful tips. :-D

glenda5253 02-26-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
brosier, I love your sewing area and stash. I particularly like the way you have your threads right where you can see them. I have thread in 5 or 6 places have to hunt for what I need. Good work!

I also like the way brosier has done her thread. I have mine in the ArtBin thread organizer boxes but am not too happy with it - can't see the colors well enough looking down into the box. But I'm not sure I will have enough of a wall to dedicate to the spool holders.

AudreyB 02-26-2011 05:37 PM

I fold mine selvage to fold, then in half again, fold to fold. This makes it a standard width. I then fold it lengthwise so that it fits in my shelf. The front of the fabric, facing out, is folded neatly and the same width. The length may vary because of the fabric lengths, but they are usually close (and it's at the back so who cares?).

Gerbie 02-26-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I fold mine in half and then wrap it around an 8 1/2" x 24" ruler. It would also work with the 6" x 24" ruler.

Ditto I like how it looks this way.

gypsylady5 02-27-2011 02:52 AM

That is essentially what I do, but I just fold until I have a nice smaller size piece of fabric. I can unroll what I want to cut off and refold for the next time.